PDA

View Full Version : What colour is my car?

stroller
24-01-2011, 14:50
Yes, sounds stupid I know;

I got a piece of paper with 'aquamarine corsa' handwritten on it which I am assuming is the colour. The code on the VIN plate is 389 which is glacier white I believe.

Were all factory cup cars produced in glacier white initially prior to delivery to the race teams?

I have a front bumper to get painted and need a paint code. Any ideas?

MatBrown
24-01-2011, 15:33
That sounds about right.

katbloke
24-01-2011, 18:37
Some places have the ability to scan existing paint and get a match from that, might be worth a shot

Danno
24-01-2011, 19:50
Some places have the ability to scan existing paint and get a match from that, might be worth a shot

yeah 8)

robi1000
24-01-2011, 20:09
Yeah they did this scan on my AX and it takes no more then 5-10 minutes.

northy
24-01-2011, 21:42
cars came in a variety of colours (subject to the phase 1 clio 16v colour scheme's)

With it being a racing car advertisement played a big part in a cars colour scheme. What year was yours painted? does it say ???

Replacement shells came in white however, do you have the original stamping on the strut????

stroller
24-01-2011, 22:52
Thanks for the tip re paint scanning.

A previous owner that road registered it in 1997 got a letter from Renault stating it was built Week 50 of 1990. It is the same colour throughout ie arches/engine bay/interior and appears to be original.

It is not stamped on the suspension turret. Does this mean it has been re-shelled???

I wasn't sure if it was a genuine Renault colour or not....

stevie_b
25-01-2011, 00:19
A decent bodyshop will match it up for you without knowing a code, no problem. Due to UV fading, etc. a pro should be matching against a colour swatch rather than going by the original colour code anyway (otherwise the repainted bit is the 'original' colour but the rest of the car looks different in that it is a twenty year aged colour!).

northy
25-01-2011, 13:56
if you look on the drivers side strut, on the side facing the headlight should be a long vin number. It is repeated on the vin plate.

The vin plate can easily be transfered to a new shell by removing the rivets. If the car has been re shelled in its life and road registered then it would need a vin plate & vin number on the chassis that matched.

If the vin plate was missing / not matching then the car would be given a new identity as a 'Q registration' as the year of manufacture is unknown. This then means new vin plates and new numbers.