PDA

View Full Version : accident in the snow....insurance sorting it!

diathermy
13-01-2011, 23:49
Hi Guys,

Snowed in Leeds last friday. I was driving and took a left, car understeered and offside wheel hit a curb with quite an impact, despite by low speed (had daughter in car...so was slow!).

Anyway, front offside wheel was pushed forward and rubbing on arch. Home was about 500 yards away so got it home slowly.

As i need a car I had no choice but to go through insurance.

I thought the subframe would be bent but today I have been advised they will repair it! New wishbone, new alloy! just one), new wing and possibly door to blend in or something.

Only problem in that I had 19 16V wishbones on, so i have to pay for the other side and fork out for an original.

Anyway, gnerally I am happy as i thought they may say its beyond econimocal repair as the book value for these cars is low!

Smokey McPot
14-01-2011, 11:15
Its good they're not writing it off. Whats the book value on them currently?

Wobba
14-01-2011, 13:47
Great! A new ally wheel? Not cheap lol.

Willy wishbones not cheap either but easy to fit so no worries and you'll have an original setup then too :)

MatrixGuy
14-01-2011, 13:49
Great news! I thought most insurance companies would right them off now?

2 live
14-01-2011, 15:44
Great! A new ally wheel? Not cheap lol.

if they can get them. i seem to remember jon saying reno had none left now when they bought theirs.

MatBrown
14-01-2011, 17:23
Northy has contacted some senior geezer in RUK who are going to get speedline to do another run though if possible. lol

That sounds almost exactly like the story i told him!

Mat.

2 live
14-01-2011, 19:52
When I phoned them up they had none in France and only 2 in the UK... those have since long gone, so none left.

Northy has contacted some senior geezer in RUK who are going to get speedline to do another run though if possible. These will obviously be the new and improved fully painted alloys without the grey inners lol

so not like originals then ;)

if i wanted non originals id get the prima reps lol

2 live
14-01-2011, 20:21
Northy has contacted some senior geezer in RUK who are going to get speedline to do another run though if possible. lol

Mat.

lol.northy taking credit for something he hasnt done........never ;) the founder of this club....i dont believe it....lol

northy
17-01-2011, 09:31

Mat.

thats right, i was telling jon what you told me. I have since spoke with Jeremy but no samples have arrive yet lol

2 live
17-01-2011, 12:17
When I phoned them up they had none in France and only 2 in the UK... those have since long gone, so none left.

Northy has contacted some senior geezer in RUK who are going to get speedline to do another run though if possible. These will obviously be the new and improved fully painted alloys without the grey inners lol

so not like originals then ;)

if i wanted non originals id get the prima reps lol

They are all original, they are all still Renault speedlines. Difference is that the first run had half painted alloys. The next run will no doubt be fully painted too, which to me is better than having reps or refurbed alloys in the wrong colour, which lets face it, all refurbs are. Primer or not, this is as good as it gets.

No point being an advocate of originality with rusting arches, sills, refurbed alloys and modified Megane engines and coilovers etc. Original is as Renault intended. It's like saying the Williams is the best hot hatch ever, then modifying it to drive and behave nothing like.

lol. depends on what the car is for. track use/abuse, and modifications are needed to get the car a little quicker. and lol at going all out for originality. if so the wheels will be the alledgedly inferior half painted items, refurbed or not, the correct paint code will give the right colour. like it will with a respray.

as you know i have 1 for track use, which will be playing out later in the year, and 1 for road use. which also will be playing out when the weathers better. both have a little rust, but at least 1 of them is 100% original now. and that includes the paint, going by your own admission, a repaint can never be the correct colour..... :rolls eyes:

2 live
18-01-2011, 20:16
thats just the thing tho. you really couldnt tell the diff between the 2 i had done and the 2 originals in terms of colour. also couldnt tell the diff between my refurbs and martins brand new rims. maybe....just maybe....the colour of the wheels from reno has changed slightly over the years.....and the boxed ones are slightly darker than the originals.

diathermy
19-01-2011, 21:14
Hi guys,

So the garage repairing the car can not source an alloy as you guys said on here.

What do I do now?

Is there a replica I can get them to buy?

They are suggesting returning me 250 pounds (cost of the new alloy) and leave me to sort out the wheel.

I will be dissapointed if they cant sort it as that is what the insurance can do.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Tommo
19-01-2011, 22:29
Take the money and buy a cheap second hand one and get them all refurbed by Pristine, job done.. :D

fab
19-01-2011, 22:47
Hi guys,

So the garage repairing the car can not source an alloy as you guys said on here.

What do I do now?

Is there a replica I can get them to buy?

They are suggesting returning me 250 pounds (cost of the new alloy) and leave me to sort out the wheel.

I will be dissapointed if they cant sort it as that is what the insurance can do.

Any suggestions?

thanks

what do you need? one original alloy? i have one that came off that willy 1 I broke before christmas. Was using it as a spare but you can have it if your stuck.

MatBrown
19-01-2011, 23:00
Take the money and buy a cheap second hand one and get them all refurbed by Pristine, job done.. :D

What he said^^

Mat.

diathermy
19-01-2011, 23:08
is pritine pristinealloywheels.co.uk?

Wobba
20-01-2011, 00:13
is pritine pristinealloywheels.co.uk?

Yep.

Wobba
20-01-2011, 00:15
Actually in about 3 months I may send them another set for a full refurb. Last time it was about £360.

fab
20-01-2011, 10:59
A refurb aint gonna look like this:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Other%20Images/willywheel1.jpg

Even if you have 1 decent speedline on your williams you have already put the value up on the car.
Money is no use to you if you aint happy :wink:

2 live
20-01-2011, 11:17
new uns dont even look like that mate ;)

Wobba
20-01-2011, 14:42
A refurb aint gonna look like this:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Other%20Images/willywheel1.jpg

Even if you have 1 decent speedline on your williams you have already put the value up on the car.
Money is no use to you if you aint happy :wink:

Nope. Mine look better :)

fab
20-01-2011, 15:53
your probably correct wobba :)

The best way to judge them I think is on a Williams in the sunshine (you really get to see the diamond edge sparkle and the paint doesn't seem as dark then.)
When you have an original set trust me a purist will be able to tell the difference.
Funnily enough they can be found you just gotta know where to look.

Wobba
20-01-2011, 16:29
I think I know someone with a set of unused Speedlines in boxes still.

2 live
20-01-2011, 16:49
lol. still upset i asked if they should be the proper colour at the back then? lmao..

bit sad really.

fab
20-01-2011, 16:54
i have no idea who you's are on about :?
Dont want to know either :P

Sometimes I trawl through the foreign car websites and they come up.

Bet if you asked the chinese to make a replica they'd do a better job than the original :lol: and at half the price!

MatBrown
20-01-2011, 19:24

Me too lol.

I know someone with a brand new set and a hoarde of original tyres!

Mat.

2 live
20-01-2011, 20:17
not a sad bunch tbh. altho the tyres will be well past their sell by date now. great for concourse and shows. but just hope the same ppl have the primered rims or would be pointless ;)

fab
20-01-2011, 20:50
ai picture this..
its the year 2020 and theres a classic car show on.
youve spent gazzillions of hours and dosh on your willy and your praying for a judge who knows fook all.
he approaches the stand where your car is sat with his folder in arms and smoking a pipe...and he announces himself as Northy!
Your rightly screwed then if your sat there with the wrong wheels!! :P :lol:

fab
20-01-2011, 22:15
diathermy got sorted with a speedline to-day so sorry lad if your receiving loads of email notifications of us babbling on about nothin!

Carol Anne that would be Eva..she's a cross between a GSD and Collie and pretty much taken over the house..even the willy has had to be moved out of the way :wink:

See you

Fab.

diathermy
30-01-2011, 22:28
Hi Guys,

got my williams back from the insurance garage.

Has the wheel that I got from fab....made me realise that the colour of the other wheels is so wrong!

they are orange as oposed to gold!

will save for a refurb

fab
31-01-2011, 11:17
I remember when i bought my first set of refurbed speedlines. Even the originals that had the paint peeling off them and the edge all cut up looked better than that set of refurb's.
when a refurb is wrong the car just does not look authentic.

katbloke
31-01-2011, 13:53

Me too lol.

I know someone with a brand new set and a hoarde of original tyres!

Mat.

I wonder who that is lol