10-01-2011, 19:18
Hi there

I think i have an earth problem but i'm struggling to solve it

the earths i have cleaned so far are

1. slam panel
2. G/Box to chassis in N/S wheel arch
3. battery to G/Box
4. under plastic door sill trim at the bottom front of both sides of the dash

apprently there is an earth behind the clocks but i can't find it anywhere??

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/nykie1/cliodash.jpg

any halp where i can find more earths would be awesome!!

thanks

james

robi1000
10-01-2011, 19:37
There are some yellow wires (I think) coming from speedo cable (white plastic thing that was the toughest to unplug). Follow those wires to the spot where they are boltet to the metal. These are original ground wires. You can add some yourself.

n9kie
10-01-2011, 21:02
those wire just go into the loom! i have searched everywhere!

I found another earth which was under the scuttle panel by the washer bottle

MORE HELP PLEASE!

schakal
10-01-2011, 21:31
uncle Schakal rule of thumb no:34654 / all black wires in a Renault are earth wires without exception !!!

:P

what makes you think you have an earth problem ?

n9kie
10-01-2011, 22:35

A few reasons and symptons

1. the rev counter only works upto 3000rpm
2. the rev counter sits at 1500rpm at idel but the engine actual rpm is correct spec and when you turn electrics on eg... lights, rear screen heater the rev conter drops but engine stays the same.
3. the clock doesn't keep the correct time
4. the radio works until you use the indicators or other electrics - then it just does an annoying beep, beep, beep

Wobba
10-01-2011, 23:16
Can someone please show a picture of the earth point under the dials please?

So many people ask about it. I've never seen it myself or I would do it for
the benefit of all humanity (that own Mk1 Clio's).

fab
11-01-2011, 10:56

A few reasons and symptons

1. the rev counter only works upto 3000rpm
2. the rev counter sits at 1500rpm at idel but the engine actual rpm is correct spec and when you turn electrics on eg... lights, rear screen heater the rev conter drops but engine stays the same.
3. the clock doesn't keep the correct time
4. the radio works until you use the indicators or other electrics - then it just does an annoying beep, beep, beep

n9kie, do you suppose the throttle position sensor is at fault for your RPM problem?

n9kie
11-01-2011, 14:30
i can't see it being the TPS. i think the rev counter issue may be the rev counter motor which i have heard is a common fault so i have orders a set of clocks from MAT to test.

if the clock isn't keeping the time and the radio plays up when other electrics are turned on do you not think it is an earth problem?

fab
11-01-2011, 17:05
It's the mother of all earth problems you have if it is an earth prob.

But the clock not keeping time is bizarre.
If you look at the clock problem logically (forget the other items for a min), it is the 1 item that runs when the ignition is switched off.What else is functioning when ignition is off that could be triggering a problem with the clock? The alarm perhaps?

Coops
11-01-2011, 19:42
it isnt behind the dials, its in the drivers footwell under the platic trim to the bottom front of the door, base of the a pillar, pop the trim off and theres a bolt holding several earths from behind the dash, same on passenger side iirc as well

Coops
11-01-2011, 19:45
there-ish

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/P62502112.jpg

Wobba
11-01-2011, 20:10
Thanks, badger boy!

Coops
11-01-2011, 20:35
for the record, i have no idea what 'plactic' trim is either.... :oops:

n9kie
11-01-2011, 23:38
4. under plastic door sill trim at the bottom front of both sides of the dash

Already covered those ones but thanks for your help!!

n9kie
11-01-2011, 23:45
It's the mother of all earth problems you have if it is an earth prob.

But the clock not keeping time is bizarre.
If you look at the clock problem logically (forget the other items for a min), it is the 1 item that runs when the ignition is switched off.What else is functioning when ignition is off that could be triggering a problem with the clock? The alarm perhaps?

Good thinking it does have an after Market toad alarm! Also another point to mention is sometimes the fuel level guage holds itself after the ignition is switched off.... Strange?

Looking at the Haynes manual the rev counter earth runs through the fuel level warning light?? Is this worth looking into or is it a lost cause?

Thanks

n9kie
12-01-2011, 21:24
Ok i have gone back to basics and decided to focus on the clock.

the haynes show a live going to the clock through the fuse box and and earth through a strut unit so i tested the power - which was fine

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/nykie1/photo2-3.jpg

then i decided to test the resistance between the earth of the clock and the battery earth

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/nykie1/photo3-2.jpg

it shows 500 ohoms of resistance??? Now i'm guessing this is my problem??

while trying to trace earths i found some led down to where the gear stick is and i found

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/nykie1/photo4-3.jpg

one of these connectors is the ciggy lighter and the other is the central locking switch but then there was these three which were not connected to anything

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/nykie1/photo5-2.jpg

any ideas if this in my problem??

any help or suggestions much apreciated!!!

fab
13-01-2011, 09:57
Seems to me that something is unplugged (therefore breaking a loop) or incorrect wiring on an aftermarket device fitted to the car, stereo alarm etc. youve gone over all the earth points and it's very likely something in the cabin thats causing the problem.
Will take a look at my center console this morning and see if I can see those plugs..but I think there is a small box underneath that console that has something to do with the seatbelt pre-tensioners?

fab
13-01-2011, 11:12
just checked under my hashtray and i have the red and white plug free and also a smaller blue one. I dont have that black one with the green rubber seal on it?

whats the wiring sequence on your central locking switch? a lot of the times an alarm fitter will "hook" into these to allow the alarm keyfob to activate the central locking.

what you might try is unplugging all the relays in the cabin fusebox and one by one put them back in noting whats working whats not as you are plugging them in.

jock
13-01-2011, 16:47
You could try running a temp clock earth bypass to an earth that you know is good and see if the clock then keeps time. Or get another clock from mat and try it for a while? I dont think its to do with the spare plugs under the ashtray as mine has some of those that i found when trying to find a short that caused my starter to come on when i was driving along. I had to bypass it with a start button works fine, but was very frustrating so i sympathise.

n9kie
31-01-2011, 16:38
Firstly THANK YOU to everybody who helped me!!! Much Love!!

To complete the story

I ordered a secondhand rev counter motor from Mat and once fitted it cured the problems i was having with the rev counter. It no longer only revs to 3000 rpm and does weird stuff when you use other electrical items in the car, it now works as a rev counter should!

The car clock i think was a red herin as it seems to just not keep time - maybe it is a faulty clock

However i do not think everything is completly fixed as the battery light on the dash sometimes flickers maybe pointing towards a new battery being needed as the alternator it charging well!!

I will eventually get to the bottom of all these problems but i guess it is all part of the fun in owning a classic car!!

Thanks

Wobba
31-01-2011, 17:53
Good stuff. Simple in the end eh?