PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 2000 Starting Issues

Lunner
21-12-2010, 10:00
My uncle has a 2000 laguna with the 2.0 petrol engine in it and he is having trouble getting it started.

Its getting fuel to the rail, all plugs are sparking, and its getting air. However clyinders 3 and 4 have got oil in them, you can see it when you take the plugs out, and cylinder 2 has a wee bit of oil in it.

Got mayo under the filler cap, but no oily film in the coolant and no running hotter than normal.

My theory is head gasket has gone and filled the cylinders with oil, am i right in thinking she won't start with the oil in there, and is there any way to get it out and get her started so he can use it over xmas?

Wobba
21-12-2010, 11:25
Clean plugs, and assuming its not vast amounts of oil, it will start...or should!

Measure the oil with dipstick too and keep an eye on it.

It could be bad valve seals maybe.

Lunner
21-12-2010, 15:48
I cleaned the plugs up, but it wasnt starting, you can visably see oil in the cylinders, not sure how much tho, never thought to measure it.

The plugs are set deep in the head, but there is also oil in the plug wells that was visable before i took the plugs out (i cleaned this up before taking the plugs out, so it didn't fall into the cylinders).

Thinking about it that would rule out the head gasket for oil int eh plug wells anyway, maybe rocker cover gasket?

Any ideas on getting it to start though?

Wobba
21-12-2010, 16:00
Well, the mayo appears if the car is just used for short journeys as the oil does not get hot enough for long enough to burn off moisture.

You are sure it's oil in the cylinders and not petrol? I mean, could it be a flooded engine?

Try full throttle and turning the car over for a while.

When was it last started?

If spark and fuel are there then it could be seized ISCV, blown ECU or dodgy crank sensor I guess...or slipped cambelt.

fab
21-12-2010, 16:03
Hi Lunner. Just do it the old fashion way and fook it down a hill in gear!

Justin..
21-12-2010, 16:33
Turn it over with the plugs out? Might make a mess with oil though

Lunner
22-12-2010, 08:13
Tried turning it over with each plug out as i was testing for a spark, got a puff of something out of the cylinder on each stroke