PDA

View Full Version : Cat just gone any advice? Sports Cat? Best you can buy?

jjustice
17-12-2010, 23:53
Hi All,

Not really how I wanted to start my posting career on the site but hey ho!!

I've just recently bought a Williams 1 in gorgeous condition ... BUT my Cats just gone.

I'm wanting to keep her happy any suggestions? I've researched a little but sure if I should pay extra and get a sports cat.

She has a stainless steel Magnex system exhaust so something in keeping is good for me.

I know original cats are hard to get hold of but any one got one knocking around happy to pay reasonable price.

Any help/advice be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance all for your help.

JW

n9kie
18-12-2010, 12:11
i think somebody was selling one in the 'items for sale' section

How do you know the CAT has gone? failed on emissions?

jjustice
18-12-2010, 12:36
i think somebody was selling one in the 'items for sale' section

How do you know the CAT has gone? failed on emissions?

I started her up the other day, the rattling sound was horrendous so down to the local garage she went where upon they told me the honeycomb had collapsed.

Quoted me £371.48, which seems on par with some previous posts on here ... just wanting to some advice on whether to go with a sports cat? or if someone knows a better make as I know I'll be struggling to get an original.

Thanks,

JW

Wobba
18-12-2010, 13:53
First of all: Welcome to the WC forums and Willy ownership!

What sort of exhaust is on it at the moment? A lot of old OEM exhausts have gone on the inside from my experience and have a load of rust rattling about. You can shake them about for hours and rust still pours out!

For a sports decat, pretty sure Scorpion do one, but to get you started and have something to look at look here:

http://www.k-tecracing.com/search.asp?appid=1&catid=8

You could just go decat route and worry about it later and borrow a decat off someone here for MOT ;)

jjustice
18-12-2010, 14:13
Thanks Wobba,

I'm loving Willy ownership!!

It's got a magnex stainless steel exhaust system on it full length connecting to the existing cat .... looks in good condition ... and did sound lovely.

I've just emailed Matt re his post cat for sale and looks like I might buy that off him for £60.00.

Best quote I've had so far is from MIJ Performance in Walsall for a sports Cat fitted for £250.00.

Kwik fit was £280.00 and Charlie Browns £260.00 both OEM replacements. Not really wanting to get from these guys as I've heard mixed reviews.

What does the decat route mean?? sorry about my ignorance is this because the car was built before 2001? Does it improve performance.

I'm fortunate the car passed it's MOT end of October so have nearly 11 months.

Thanks in Advance,

JW

Wobba
18-12-2010, 14:27
Good to hear!

We need pictures now you realise? Club rules :p

A de-cat is simply a length of pipe that replaces the cat and removes entirely the slightly restrictive cat converter. It also encourages more pops and bangs and interesting noises ;)

Easy to fit, but will fail you on MOT.

Magnex is a good system for standard engined cars. I approve.

Tommo
18-12-2010, 14:50
Welcome to the forum :)

Only use a decat as a last resort imo, try and get hold of a cheap cat if you can. In my experience you lose low down torque with a decat and it's very annoying, then you will have the hassle of trying to source a cat anyway come MOT time. A sports cat would be a nice alternative, but they are big £'s.

Mat Brown is always a good bloke to get parts from, or you could try these guys:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41143

I have had a look and a cat isn't listed, but they may be able to get hold of one for you. Good luck!

n9kie
18-12-2010, 16:15
[quote="Tommo"] In my experience you lose low down torque with a decat quote]

never heard of this before?? anyway why would you want low down torque? you feel the most acceleration from mid range torque which a decat would definitely increase

Tommo
18-12-2010, 17:21
It's a well known problem, it's something to do with a reduction in back pressure, do a search on here, it's been discussed before.

It's just my preference mate, a Williams is all about low-end response imo, with a decat on it's more like a valver - you have to rev the crap out of it to get the performance. I may be in the monority on this though, plenty of people have decats and like them as you do gain more power at the top-end.

katbloke
18-12-2010, 18:45
wow 250 for a sports cat, hmmm gets me wondering

MatBrown
18-12-2010, 18:46
I do have a spare original williams cat but would want £100 for it.

Mat.

Smokey McPot
18-12-2010, 21:04
I had to put my Cat back on, on thursday for its MOT. It sounds better with it on. Its doing well for 17 years.

cooper
20-12-2010, 20:07
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-WILLIAMS-2-0-16v-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-CAT-/130353446127?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e59abbcef#ht_500wt_922

brand new with 2 years Guarantee^^^

Wobba
20-12-2010, 20:50
In my experience you lose low down torque with a decat

never heard of this before?? anyway why would you want low down torque? you feel the most acceleration from mid range torque which a decat would definitely increase

Low down torque is nice to have as well, and yes, you do lose some with a decat. A decat enables the car to breath easier, thus giving better power higher in the rev range.

talkingfish
20-12-2010, 21:41
Off-set the loss of the low-down torque with a de-cat by upgrading the manifold too.... My manifold and de-cat set-up works really well - very pleased with the response and overall power, plus it makes a lovely sound under load!!

FATBOY
20-12-2010, 21:49
£370 for a cat???? you can buy an entire exhaust system for that price!!!!

jjustice
21-12-2010, 15:12
Thanks so much all for your advice decided to keep it pure for now with a new cat. I really like the low end torque so hope it still there when I get her back. I might get a pipe in the spring and see how she goes on with that.

Working on the pics as The ones on my phone are too big to upload :o)

Thanks again JW

Wobba
21-12-2010, 16:02
...plus it makes a lovely sound under load!!

You should hear mine ;)

No worries JW, welcome to the club :)