PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading stuff on the willy

Jaymzfc
16-12-2010, 15:37
Hi People,
Next year i'm planning to give the willy a bit of a seeing too :wink:
I'd like to change the bushes front and rear and also all the hoses in the engine bay, apart from some other things. Now looking around the net has confused the hell out of me so i need your help.

Is there a bush kit which covers the whole car?

Will samco hoses for the valver be ok for the willy as on their site williams hoses aren't mentioned, or would you recommend some other manufacturer.

What brake discs and calipers would you recommend? nothing for racing or track just daily use but more stopping power.

thanks and merry xmas to all

n9kie
16-12-2010, 15:54
i'd be interested to know these answers myself!!

Smokey McPot
16-12-2010, 16:10
I'd quite like some plain black silicon hoses to replace the ones I have, but I cant find any that look the same as OEM.

Wobba
16-12-2010, 16:22
Hi People,
Next year i'm planning to give the willy a bit of a seeing too :wink:
I'd like to change the bushes front and rear and also all the hoses in the engine bay, apart from some other things. Now looking around the net has confused the hell out of me so i need your help.

Will samco hoses for the valver be ok for the willy as on their site williams hoses aren't mentioned, or would you recommend some other manufacturer.

What brake discs and calipers would you recommend? nothing for racing or track just daily use but more stopping power.

thanks and merry xmas to all

Black silicone hoses that fit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/silicone-hose-Renault-Clio-MK1-16s-Williams-1-8-16V-98-/130418284469?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5d8917b5#ht_1337wt_905

Powerflex front suspension and dogbone bushes:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=williams+powerflex

Brakes? Standard calipers and simple Brembo Max front discs/standard rear discs are fine, as seen here:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0233.jpg

Happy Xmas :)

2 live
16-12-2010, 19:04
as above really..or could just stick with std discs and whack some ds2500s in....always worked well on mine tbh.

n9kie
16-12-2010, 22:45
[quote="Wobba"][quote="Jaymzfc"]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0233.jpg
quote]

how high up are those coilovers? get them wound down!

Yanoo_
16-12-2010, 23:00

Yes mate, there is a bush kit called as stiff shift kit. It's a gear linkage conversion kit ;) :)

Wobba
17-12-2010, 00:38
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0233.jpg

how high up are those coilovers? get them wound down!

It's low enough, trust me ;)

talkingfish
17-12-2010, 10:31
I used Samco's "classic black" silicone hoses when I did my engine bay restore.... you get the OEM look with silicone durability... You have to get the 16v kit but it doesn't come with the oil cooler hoses as the 16v doesn't have one... therefore you have to replace that hose with a standard item. (it doesn't matter too much as you can't see that area once the engine is all back together!)

I paid around £350 with clips on top - they do look nice though and are very easy to keep clean!

2 live
17-12-2010, 10:36
Jay, if you want reliable stopping power I'd move over to 172 hubs and calipers, the brakes on my 172 after having a Williams were just unreal... even on cheapo pads. I seemed to be forever having to buy new Williams calipers too, although that could just be down to my car being a mechanical nail lol.

to be fair. theres nothing wrong with the williams set up if they are working lol. iv never had to replace/refurb the front calipers on any of mine in nearly 10 years ownership.

Smokey McPot
17-12-2010, 12:34
I used Samco's "classic black" silicone hoses when I did my engine bay restore.... you get the OEM look with silicone durability... You have to get the 16v kit but it doesn't come with the oil cooler hoses as the 16v doesn't have one... therefore you have to replace that hose with a standard item. (it doesn't matter too much as you can't see that area once the engine is all back together!)

I paid around £350 with clips on top - they do look nice though and are very easy to keep clean!

Nice one. Thanks.

Smokey McPot
17-12-2010, 14:06
I recently put new OEM calipers on the front of mine. It helped, but the stopping is not even close to my Cup.

Jaymzfc
17-12-2010, 14:43
Too be honest the idea of new discs all round and a set of good pads should be enough for daily driving, the hoses will have to wait at that cost, however the bushes i'd like to do and will make the car feel better on the road i think.
Thanks again for the info.
Just one last opinion? would you fit a torsion bar to the front ?? not sure i like the idea of drilling a few holes in the car? also the fact i don't really use it for track.

Smokey McPot
17-12-2010, 14:52
In the last 4 months I've had new Bushes all round, disks and pads and calipers up front.

Its tightened the handling up a bit, but not a great deal. I am however running on some rubbish tyres at the moment and my suspension is as old as the car.

Wobba
17-12-2010, 16:26
For front end:

Wishbones with ball joints
Dampers
Top mounts
Springs
Tie rods AND tie rod ends
ARB bushes
Welded steering rack
Front bearings
Decent tyres and tracking

The above, assuming your CV joints are ok, will give a fresh, excellent handling Williams.

Not many dothe tie rods, but they make a nice difference to steering feel.

dkrevs
17-12-2010, 16:29
Wobba, do you know how much are tie rods for Williams?

Wobba
17-12-2010, 16:34

:)

No lol. I think I used valver ones, which are shorter. Some say too short, but I've never had issues.

dkrevs
17-12-2010, 16:41

:)

No lol. I think I used valver ones, which are shorter. Some say too short, but I've never had issues.
Really? Interesting, I was calculating last time and I figured that Kangoo(98') tie rods would be perfect. They are 18,5mm longer than Valver items and they have same size threads.

stevie_b
17-12-2010, 16:53
Let me know if you go the Kangoo rods way please - I have valver/Williams ones on my widetracked track car and I sometimes think I would feel better knowing there was additional thread into the track rods from the track rod ends (I've got a manual rack which I think means the tie rods are slightly shorter and maybe I have less thread to play with than a Williams with PAS?)

dkrevs
17-12-2010, 18:55
Let me know if you go the Kangoo rods way please - I have valver/Williams ones on my widetracked track car and I sometimes think I would feel better knowing there was additional thread into the track rods from the track rod ends (I've got a manual rack which I think means the tie rods are slightly shorter and maybe I have less thread to play with than a Williams with PAS?)
Well, if you have Williams rods then you don't have to worry about it, mate. I don't really know if manual or PAS rods are any different, I would say they're exactly the same. Kangoo rods are probably perfect to go with R19 wishbones which have more castor than Willy ones. This also means that rod ends have to be a little further out. IIRC this is exactly 1,5mm. As I said before Kangoo track rods are 18,5mm longer than Valver ones. So 17mm(Widetrack width per side) + 1,5mm(If using R19 wishbones) = 18,5mm(Kangoo minus Valver rod length).
It looks like Renault hide all these parts that are needed to widetrack a Clio in other cars across the range. Renault puzzle. :lol:

talkingfish
18-12-2010, 14:37
tie rods made the biggest individual difference to the feel of my car as I went through the process of replacing components...