PDA

View Full Version : stiff clutch in the cold

wilky19
09-12-2010, 00:20
just started using the car after it being off the road for a couple of weeks. now the clutch is very stiff, it wasn't this way before it came of the road but it wasn't as cold then. the clutch returns to "normal" after a while when the car is warm/ above freezing

is this due to the cold/frost affecting the cable? if so what does the frost/cold do to the cable to make it stiff? am i at risk of snapping the cable using it whilst its stiff?

thanks in advance

Wobba
09-12-2010, 01:31
I think your muscles have wasted away and you're imagining it ;)

fab
09-12-2010, 10:44
I know what that is. On some early clio models reno fitted a clutch system device abbreviated SCPS (Stiffer clutch pedal system). It activates when your not using the car.
The way you know you have it installed is to look down under the clutch pedal and if you see a little french guy standing underneath the pedal it's been activated.
To de-activate just tell him (in french) to piss off and go eat some cheese.

n9kie
09-12-2010, 13:03
LOL @ Fab and Wobba

Yanoo_
09-12-2010, 13:43
You should grease the fulcrum under the clutch fork. (it's a small plastic bit, pressed into the gearbox housing).

wilky19
09-12-2010, 20:37
lol at the responses. my legs were a bit weak from driving a newish polo with a hydraulic clutch, when i first started driving it i nearly put my foot threw the floor. lol

did think i was imagining it but its definitely stiffer when colder.

yanoo how would i grease that with the box in situ and without covering the clutch in grease

wrighty
09-12-2010, 20:51
Water ingress in the cable freezing?

Yanoo_
09-12-2010, 21:48
lol at the responses. my legs were a bit weak from driving a newish polo with a hydraulic clutch, when i first started driving it i nearly put my foot threw the floor. lol

yanoo how would i grease that with the box in situ and without covering the clutch in grease

Disconnect the clutch cable at the clutch fork, get off the fork boot, push the fork into opposing direction, put grease onto a long, small diameter stick, try to grease the fulcrum (item 7 in this pic):

http://www.fw.hu/yanooka/kepek/clutch_fc.jpg

good luck! :)

wilky19
09-12-2010, 22:37

Disconnect the clutch cable at the clutch fork, get off the fork boot, push the fork into opposing direction, put grease onto a long, small diameter stick, try to grease the fulcrum (item 7 in this pic):

http://www.fw.hu/yanooka/kepek/clutch_fc.jpg

good luck! :)

thanks if it ets no better when the weather improves ill give it a go

and yeah could be water ingress freezing. ill have a look at the cable to see if there are any breaks in protective sleeve of the cable