PDA

View Full Version : Changes to MOT testing in 2011

northy
08-12-2010, 09:20
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2048%20-%20Oct%202010.pdf

PAGE 8

stevie_b
08-12-2010, 11:47
They haven't defined what they would check with regard to a chipped ECU, or how they would do it (if it involves new equipment once it has been defined then there would be a lead time in all the MOT stations having to acquire it) so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!

Justin..
08-12-2010, 15:24
Yeah cos that's enforceable :roll:

fab
08-12-2010, 15:49
with a diagnostic machine you'd be surprised how much info the ecu relays back.theres no hiding from the machines :lol:

Squeak
08-12-2010, 15:59
Oops some bastard cut the plug off my loom, guess you cant do that lol

fab
08-12-2010, 16:03
:rofl:
ya see thats why i love this place. theres an answer for everything!

Squeak
08-12-2010, 16:07
:rofl:
ya see thats why i love this place. theres an answer for everything!

;)

kenny
08-12-2010, 17:36
Oops some B**t**d cut the plug off my loom, guess you cant do that lol

Wouldn't think you would need to, thought only renault had readers for these cars. Thought OBD1 & 2 equipment couldn't read the chips. Bet there are a lot of older cars like that.

Wobba
08-12-2010, 18:28
If any garage tried to test my Emerald ECU, it would bite their arms off. I have it well trained.

rochdale_williams
08-12-2010, 18:42
I can't see it happening, been testing for 4 years now and there's nothing coming through on the proper channels. Id have to fail both my cars. One chipped one HID'd

ThRaXaIR
08-12-2010, 19:02
ah man so there not gunna like my 25mm house tail running from bay to boot feeding my battery then?

kenny
08-12-2010, 20:46
Most EU countries with an equivelant MOT have tests every 2 years, bet that doesn't happen.

2 live
08-12-2010, 20:54
so........nothings changed there then....chipped ecu's etc will need further thought for a workable solution....scare mongering tbh.

as jon says, will just mean more cars are mot'd illegally.....like there isnt enough of them on the roads huh...emmissions tests seem to be the fave bypass/dodge today.

fab
09-12-2010, 10:54
OR you could just ask your chip guru to activate a virus for any un-authorized entry to the ECU and that would take down the MOT system. That'll teach em :wink:

richy
09-12-2010, 11:31
with the normal renault Clip diag machine you could check the ecu's software etc details, but it didnt tell you if it was mapped etc, there might of been a way if everything was sent back to renault for data analysis but that would be a pain for every MOT lol

but even when i plugged the Clip into my 16v (which was chipped) it still showed as oe numbers but just permantly showed a computer error on the faults log page!
could still read all parameters etc fine

Wobba
09-12-2010, 12:05
The ECU thing is unenforceable. How is it illegal to chip your car anyway? Load of crap.

fab
09-12-2010, 14:12
lol at all the chip meisters posting! the mot are out to get ye's :P

Justin..
09-12-2010, 14:29
With the chipping, so what if it's a bit more powerful or whatever, as long as it's still running within emissions limits who gives a toss

fab
09-12-2010, 18:09
reading it again and i quote it as saying " illegal engine chipping".
How is engine chipping illegal if its widely available? And can someone explain to me why it's illegal to chip your car but if you have other after-market parts fitted and you tell your insurance company so it's not illegal? Or have I missed something?

stevie_b
09-12-2010, 22:23
This is way off happening here in the UK - I wouldn't worry. It becomes illegal once the law is changed to make it so! These things can and do happen - look at the new law with regard to having to have a vehicle insured even if it is off the road! However, if they have no means of checking it then it is meaningless and not likely to come in. It is all to do with standardisation across the EU - just look to Germany as to how it could become. There was talk of the 'Ring checking that cars conformed to German rules next year - there it is very strict and a car is not legal unless any mods are TUV approved and you have a log book stating that they are all fitten by an approved technician. Even there I can't see how they could check whether an ECU was 'chipped' unless you were running a standalone ECU or something. And if a car is legal in the UK, where TUV approval is not relevant, and the 'Ring is a public EU region road then they are a bit stuck as to how they can enforce keeping you off it if in a foreign car. It is going to take many years to come up with an EU-wide testing process - I'm sure some countries don't want yearly testing (as we have, but most don't) any more than we would welcome fitting only DOT-approved parts!