PDA

View Full Version : Fan size

fab
02-12-2010, 14:06
anyone else notice the fan on the williams 1 is smaller than the phase 2 and possibly 3?
just thought i'd throw that in there :P

MatBrown
03-12-2010, 00:21
Williams 1 should be the same as the rest, the early 16v's did come with a smaller fan though so probably been changed in the past.

Mat.

Imperial_16v
08-04-2011, 19:05
What size is the fan on the Williams?

Valeo do a replacment OE fan (Part No. 698007) but it doesn't list the dimensions, or CFM rate. Do you guys know that info? I'd like to compare against aftermarket fans and try and get a better one.

Is fitment an easy job to the standard thermostat?

Thanks. :)

fab
08-04-2011, 20:46
ooh thats an interesting one. used to be well into me fans but when I was water cooling PC's :D
Finding CFM rates on Willy fans may be difficult though. Cant say that i have ever seen reference to it on the fan. Matt is spot on above btw.
Do you want me to go down to the garage and measure the fan?

dimma
08-04-2011, 21:26
ive had a williams 1,2 and 3 and they all had a large fan.

fab
08-04-2011, 22:30
What size is the fan on the Williams?

Valeo do a replacment OE fan (Part No. 698007) but it doesn't list the dimensions, or CFM rate. Do you guys know that info? I'd like to compare against aftermarket fans and try and get a better one.

Is fitment an easy job to the standard thermostat?

Williams fan approx 36CM.
Fitment of the fan requires taking the rad out.
Thermostat is doable with rad in situ.
No data on the CFM rate :(

Imperial_16v
09-04-2011, 09:44
Cheers Fab, that's a big help! You didn't happen to measure (or know) the depth of the standard fan?

Looking at the Pacet Profan:-

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Cooling_System/Fans_Fan_Kits/Pacet_Profan_Assemblies/1875/5098

So that means I could go for the 13" or 14" going by their OD (Outer Diameter)?

Blade Size OD Depth Current Draw Airflow (CFM)
13" x 11 346mm 90mm 16.19 1760
14" x 11 367mm 90mm 17.29 1809

That CFM seems mega, so I'd hope it would be more than the stock item. :)

fab
09-04-2011, 10:10
Depth wise I'd say your good to go with 90MM, thats just about what I measured with the standard fan. 13/14 inch on diameter, just double check before you buy.
Might be useful getting a bypass switch as I know some of the lads on here use them.
Push or Pull air now thats one I'm not so sure of. Looks as if the standard fan push's so it would be drawing air from the engine bay. A pull would take it from the rad and into the engine area. TBH I'd go with default on that one. Yeah CFM rates are huge on those fans. You may have to double check with someone on the amp rate though.

Imperial_16v
09-04-2011, 17:42
Depth wise I'd say your good to go with 90MM, thats just about what I measured with the standard fan. 13/14 inch on diameter, just double check before you buy.
Might be useful getting a bypass switch as I know some of the lads on here use them.
Push or Pull air now thats one I'm not so sure of. Looks as if the standard fan push's so it would be drawing air from the engine bay. A pull would take it from the rad and into the engine area. TBH I'd go with default on that one. Yeah CFM rates are huge on those fans. You may have to double check with someone on the amp rate though.

I tried to work out the CFM needed. Ended up working out what size extractor fan you would need if your bathroom was the size of the Clio. lol. 32CFM's if anyone is intertested. :lol:

Why would you need a bypass switch mate? Will it not work automatically like the OEM item?

fab
09-04-2011, 18:01
Why would you need a bypass switch mate? Will it not work automatically like the OEM item?

bypass just in-case your stuck in traffic or other scenario whereby you can trigger the fan to cut in when you want rather than relying on the thermostat.
Think that is the reason why.
But I think if you have a fresh rad with decent coolant and perhaps a low temp thermo you'll be fine.
Depends on setup really. Not too much experience in the car tuning area myself. still learning..:wink:

Imperial_16v
09-04-2011, 18:40

bypass just in-case your stuck in traffic or other scenario whereby you can trigger the fan to cut in when you want rather than relying on the thermostat.
Think that is the reason why.
But I think if you have a fresh rad with decent coolant and perhaps a low temp thermo you'll be fine.
Depends on setup really. Not too much experience in the car tuning area myself. still learning..:wink:

Ah I see, that makes sense. Yeah I'm planning to do a new rad, new coolant and fit the low temp thermostat. So hopefully having a more powerful fan will mean there is no need for the manual switch. :)

Thanks.

cliokiz
09-04-2011, 22:34
Really hate it when people fit switches for the radiator fans, completely unnecessary IMO

As long as your cooling system working properly you should have no problems. I run a standard thermostat, standard fan switch, and it gets up to about the third quarter of the dial before it kicks in.

You don't want it keeping the engine too cool, especially in the winter else your heaters won't be as warm as they could be.

You might want to fit a low temp fan switch and lower temp thermostat in the summer months, though.

Coops
09-04-2011, 23:15
as above!Should all be fine as standard!!mines all good on the turbo in standard trim,altho do run low temp stat n switch to be safe with water cooled turbo :-)