PDA

View Full Version : Rev Counter and dials dropping

n9kie
28-11-2010, 18:18
Hi there

I was wondering if you could help me with my first problem since buying my new williams

when the car is running, the rev counter is good but if i turn the lights on or activate the windows the rev counter neddle drops.

I have also noticed if you try and do the windows up when they are already up the oil temp and water temp guages drop along with the rev counter

also the radio will work for a while before the sound cuts out and it just beeps

I'm thinking a bad earth somewhere???

what are your thoughts??

robi1000
28-11-2010, 20:08
Usually bad earth.

Laine_16v
29-11-2010, 00:17
Main earth point is passenger footwell, behind the piece of trim that runs at the bottom, but at the front. 1 x 10mm nut holds on a eyelet with 3 earth cables from memory.

n9kie
29-11-2010, 08:26
Nice one I'll take a look! The earth from the negative battery terminal to the front of the car looks quite bad too!

Wobba
29-11-2010, 11:48
Nice one I'll take a look! The earth from the negative battery terminal to the front of the car looks quite bad too!

That's always a good one to give a scrub and clean up ;)

n9kie
29-11-2010, 21:17
I have cleaned all of the earths

1. from the negative battery terminal to the body
2. from the negative battery terminal to the gearbox
3. the one in the passanger foot well

the problem is still there

the rev counter also does not keep up with the revs of the engine! just as a test i hit the rev limiter and the rev counter was reading 3000rpm

something isn't right

any thoughts??

fab
30-11-2010, 10:52
there are 3 negatives on the gearbox. one on the front and one on the back that the loom attach's to. the third is the one that the lads pointed out that runs to the n/s arch.
other than that you have the one that runs from the battery negative to under-neath the slam panel and another just under the near/side light. (have a look at this one) this is mora than likely the culprit as it plays havoc with lights and switch's when not attached.

n9kie
30-11-2010, 21:32
all earths are clean but the problem is still there!

another thing i have noticed is - if you press the electric windon switch up when the window is already closed the dash battery light flickers as well as the rev counter dropping??

fab
30-11-2010, 22:18
does this happen with engine running or not?
get a multimeter on to the battery and check the voltages. also check voltages when engine is running. should be 14.45 me thinks when engine is running.

n9kie
01-12-2010, 21:35
Only really happens when the car is running! I will
Check the alternator charge tomorrow and let you know

n9kie
02-12-2010, 15:14
tested the voltage across the battery

not running 12.36V
with the engine running 14.41V

i have done a video to help explain what is happening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfWF1Gj0D-E

any help please??

fab
02-12-2010, 15:29
thats the weirdest earth problem ive seen :!:
so when you hit the window switch the ACTUAL engine revs do not drop but the REV counter drops/shows pretty much correct rpm?

did you check the alternator voltages with all the lights switched on? rev the car a little and make sure the regulator continues to feed 14.41 to the batt.

fab
02-12-2010, 15:35
there are further earth points for the window switch/electric mirrors I think underneath the plastic surround that goes around the bottom of the frame of the door.

n9kie
15-12-2010, 23:54
i still haven't got to the end of this problem..... so HELP still needed!

if it helps i have noticed that the clock doesn't keep the correct time and the radio will olny work for around 2 minutes and then just beeps at me

Is this leading to possibly more earth faults??

zmaster2k
16-12-2010, 01:20
1500 idle? lil high

n9kie
16-12-2010, 08:07
The rev counter does not show the correct RPM, I have hooked up my timing light and the idle is correct!

fab
16-12-2010, 10:32
I know you checked the battery voltage but have you tried a new/different battery? Did you fix the window switch issue?

n9kie
16-12-2010, 15:52
Hey fab

1. i have changed the battery for a good, fully charged and it hasn't made any difference
2. the window issue as in the video is still there

hummmm!

fab
16-12-2010, 16:17
sometimes a dodgy relay could cause what appears to be an earth problem but thats a bitch to diagnose without spares.
you obviously purchased the car recently like this. Did the previous owner remove a stereo or alarm and wired it back up arseways?

Wobba
16-12-2010, 16:43
In that video, your dash looks different to my Williams. The central lit red light is power steering warning light? I don't have that there. Have any if the dials been replaced do you know?

n9kie
16-12-2010, 22:50
that light shows you have the handbrake on/up

n9kie
16-12-2010, 22:56
sometimes a dodgy relay could cause what appears to be an earth problem but thats a bitch to diagnose without spares.
you obviously purchased the car recently like this. Did the previous owner remove a stereo or alarm and wired it back up arseways?

what relays are used on the clio
1. indicators
2. wipers
3. what else?

the previous owner was a young lady who i shouldn't of thought fiddled with the car. it has an aftermarket toad alarm professionally fitted and the stereo could of been replaced as the code 1118 written on the top of the stereo i have is the car at the moment is different to the 0654 code in the service book

i'll take the stereo out and see what happens!