PDA

View Full Version : Brake pipe colour

Red_Dash
24-11-2010, 11:45
I want to touch up my brake pipes to the original green colour. I think I read somewhere that the pipes were powder coated in green from the factory. Does anyone know what colour I should be using please?

stevie_b
24-11-2010, 12:58
Are you just trying to touch up the pipes that are already there as some of the green has come off in places? I don't think the originals are copper, so if they have been replaced at some stage they will no doubt be uncoated copper ones now.

katbloke
24-11-2010, 17:45
Some ford restorers have used a forest green colour if that helps

Red_Dash
24-11-2010, 22:21
Are you just trying to touch up the pipes that are already there as some of the green has come off in places? - yup. There's just a bit come off. The thing is, I like the colour, I like originality and I don't see the need at this stage to change them to copper so Ideally, I'd just like to touch them up.

Red_Dash
24-11-2010, 22:21
Some ford restorers have used a forest green colour if that helps

stevie_b
25-11-2010, 00:12
yup. There's just a bit come off. The thing is, I like the colour, I like originality and I don't see the need at this stage to change them to copper so Ideally, I'd just like to touch them up.

Sure, makes sense. I was just wondering whether you were trying to paint replacement copper pipes as I'm not sure the paint would ever adhere and look the same as the OE ones. I think the OE ones do need paint or some other kind of covering on them to protect them from degrading, so worth touching in for reasons other than the look, whereas a copper pipe should be okay for a good many years 'bare'.

northy
25-11-2010, 08:48
forest green is too light for renault brake pipe green.

i had to use a bit of black paint to darken / tint the green to the colour i wanted