PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump wont prime again

wilky19
20-11-2010, 15:43
bit of a strange one this

yesterday i was driving the car when it cut out, it then re started then cut out just round the corner. i checked to see if the pump was priming and it wasn't i checked the relays and the wiring all seemed fine, the RAC then turned up and between us we determined that the pump had most probably lost its impeller. we came to this conclusion due to getting 12v on ignition and on cracking to fuel pump plug and the car wouldn't pump fuel even when the pump was given 12v direct and could be heard to be spinning very fast.i have changed the pump and whilst testing both on the bench the old one spun faster than the new one, sounding like it had no resistance.

i swap the two pump and it still wouldn't prime, i again checked for 12v on ignition and cracking which the plug got, also put a direct 12v to the pump which it span and let the car start cos it pumped enough fuel to fail for it to start.

also the fuel gauge is not working when it was before it started to cut out.

it seems to me there might be a problem with the plug, is this common and what the best way to resolve it.

thanks in advance.

Matty86
20-11-2010, 16:04
you sure the fuel gauge is actually working and you're not just .... out of fuel? :P :P

wilky19
20-11-2010, 16:14
you sure the fuel gauge is actually working and you're not just .... out of fuel? :P :P

im 100% sure cos i had quarter of tank when it cut out and rac didn't believe me cos the gauge wasn't working , so put £10 worth in. also when i removed the pump there is a shit load of fuel in it.

wilky19
20-11-2010, 17:37
i just bypassed the plug using some small spade connectors and some wire. and it primed and started straight away. so it confirms its the plug that is at fault. i think it could have do this due to all the times its had a multimeter shoved down it when test for the last priming fault and this pump fault.

what's the best way of replacing it? getting a new plug and soldering it on or with little spade connectors.

Matty86
20-11-2010, 23:51
the 2 pin plug on mine was dodgy for a long time

in the end i just cut it out and crimped the wires together... not pretty but I don't often remove the fuel pump!

wilky19
21-11-2010, 01:35
is that a ph1 or ph2.

on mine its the 6 pin(one is blank) plug at attach to the housing that is having the problem.

is it all right to replace it just with spades instead of the plug or is it best to try a new replacement plug.

MatBrown
21-11-2010, 01:44
I would fit a replacement plug.

Mat.

Matty86
21-11-2010, 10:31
mine is a ph1, so just a 2 pin connector for the fuel pump (live + ground)

Laine_16v
21-11-2010, 10:35
Someones had a go at mine and its connected via terminal blocks now, i dont really want totouch it as i can see the wires falling underneath the floor pan andthen im ****ed.

schakal
21-11-2010, 10:52
Someones had a go at mine and its connected via terminal blocks now, i dont really want totouch it as i can see the wires falling underneath the floor pan andthen im f**ked.

bodgetastic ^^ :P