PDA

View Full Version : Noisey tappets revisited

Wobba
10-11-2010, 21:20
Now, I've replaced tappets before, but this time I find that rather than being noisy on start up and for a while after, the are actually quite quiet at first and become noisier...

By the time I reach my destination they have become pretty loud.

The injectors are a little bit noisy too but they are not the cause of the racket from the engine bay.

Anyone else have this?

fab
10-11-2010, 21:51
I am very glad you have revisited this topic wobba!
As you know I replaced mine about 6 weeks ago. so far so good for me but to be honest the short cold starts are not helping and I haven't been on a long drive yet as I'm deep trouble with other issues on the car at the moment. But 1 tappet is slightly noisey but settles down once up to temp.

However I was curious about one thing. Did you use a grease around the cams when you where putting them back in? I seem to be hearing a slight squeaky noise sometimes.

also when you first fitted your new ones did you hold the revs at about 2K for a few minutes?

The only thing I can think of is that your grade of oil is not correct or your now getting enough pressure up there to lube the tappets.

katbloke
10-11-2010, 22:00
Wrong oil? crap oil pressure

sideways danny
10-11-2010, 22:33
sounds like the oil is getting thin as it warms up and not holding enough pressure

Wobba
11-11-2010, 01:06
Oil pressure is good and minimum is 1 BAR when hot at idle.

The tappets have been quite noisy even since I picked up the car from APD. Before that I had my rebuilt Willy head on it which was quieter.

I've done three oil changes since then myself, all 10w-40. Stan used 5w-40 originally.

Fab: even with new tappets mine were a little noisey at first, but soon settled.

I used graphogen paste on the cam lubes, though some just use used engine oil on them. The squeaking may just be a alternator belt slip?

fab
11-11-2010, 09:45
Wobba are you running an oil cooler?
Is 1 bar high enough when hot on idle? See if you can get a proper oil pressure reading because I'm not sure about those readings on the clock sometimes. Mine with a standard head runs a little higher pressure when hot according to the internal clocks.
It would appear that the problem came about after you got it back from APD so perhaps you should back-track a little and go over the work they did?

Wobba
11-11-2010, 14:31
I'll just replace them (again) and see what happens I think.

Wobba
18-11-2010, 14:16
Going to try thicker oil instead first off. Got to ditch the shitty halfrauds stuff anyway. 5th oil change this year I think...a pampered car :)

Chadwick
02-05-2011, 01:02
Sorry to drag this old fella back up!

What was the outcome on this? I have a slight tappet noise. What sort of job is it to replace them? and what sort of cost?

Cheers
Al

fab
02-05-2011, 09:39
It's possible when the car is cold to have a slight tappety noise but it should go away after the engine gets warm.
The squeak I mentioned above was due to a clutch release bearing and not tappet as I had done both jobs at the same time ans suspected the tappets

It's cam's out to do it, which means timing belt off also.
There are a few old posts that show whats involved with pics.

Wobba
02-05-2011, 15:00
Sorry to drag this old fella back up!

What was the outcome on this? I have a slight tappet noise. What sort of job is it to replace them? and what sort of cost?

Cheers
Al

I changed the whole engine :)

After a quick look at the head that was on it, at least one of the tappets had seized up, which must have been the case from the off when I got the car back from APD, as they were always noisy. Odd, as I paid for new ones to be fitted.

Just replace them or take them out and open/clean them up.

sideways danny
02-05-2011, 19:43
After a quick look at the head that was on it, at least one of the tappets had seized up,

I found 4 that were completely solid

Wobba
02-05-2011, 21:14
After a quick look at the head that was on it, at least one of the tappets had seized up,

I found 4 that were completely solid

Ok, then there is the culprits!

Thanks dan.

cliokongen
02-05-2011, 22:53
Where is the cheapest place for new lifters?

Michael

fab
03-05-2011, 09:55
Depends what type your looking for. Bought mine from Trechii on Ebay.
OEM prices are insane.
And from an old post arrow rods seems to do quality items also.

Willbee
19-10-2011, 12:57
anyone know where the tappets replacement old topic is with photos of how to do it?

Wobba
19-10-2011, 13:43
There's quite a few posts by me with the pics you want, and descriptions of what to do.

chip
19-10-2011, 14:00
anyone know where the tappets replacement old topic is with photos of how to do it?

are you confident doing a cambelt?
cause thats the major part of the work, the rest is pretty trivial.

Willbee
19-10-2011, 14:07
not really. never done anywork on a car , but I'm very keen to learn! :oops:

Wobba
19-10-2011, 14:13
not really. never done anywork on a car , but I'm very keen to learn! :oops:

Yea, as Chip says the cambelt is the major part of the job. Once you've done it once though and understand what you are doing/have done, it's quite easy after that and you'll be able to sort out cambelts at your leisure, which can save some pretty serious money on garage fees!

I will have to wait till I get home to look for a guide I may have written. It may be on my old hard drive at home or on here somewhere.

Willbee
19-10-2011, 14:16
top man Wobba!

chip
19-10-2011, 15:59
Worth getting a haynes manual for basic queries as well TBH, a lot of it is in there (although not all as the williams and valver are different in some ways to other models)

Willbee
19-10-2011, 16:04
didn't think of that. I'll pop it on the shopping list :D