PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox leak

Wobba
31-10-2010, 22:27
Most things on my car are pretty damn pukka, BUT I have spotted a gear box leak coming from the drivers driveshaft bit.

Looks like a regular leak, fluid level is still good.

I guess this is gearbox out right? Is this a seal leak? Bit annoying as I have never had any trouble before and the box was supposed to have all new seals as of around April....leaking already...?

fab
01-11-2010, 14:13
Hi Wobba..just a hunch but could it be this? Had the same problem back in 06 but on the n/s. it may not be g/b out but it is certainly a fluid drain.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/02-12-200612-52-08.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/02-12-200612-54-56.jpg

Wobba
01-11-2010, 14:15
Hehe, that's your gearbox circlip! Well known for failing. I don't have one on mine ;)

fab
01-11-2010, 15:15
ah ha you got one of those fancy new ones then :lol: :wink:

cliokiz
01-11-2010, 16:00
Where is it leaking from? drivers side you say? The gearbox is on the passenger side of the car.. unless you meant leaking from the where the drivers side driveshaft meets the box?

Wobba
02-11-2010, 00:48
Yes, the splined shaft exiting the gearbox that the drivers driveshaft slots on to.

I have a Gripper diff on my car. When it was fitted in April or so it was meant to have the seals replaced.

My question is can I repair it and what do I need to look out for? I had the shaft off quite recently if that makes any difference.

fab
02-11-2010, 09:39
I had the shaft off quite recently if that makes any difference.

That may explain something :P

Wobba I have a suggestion. Why dont you get a hat with a webcam on it, that way we can all see what your doing when youve got an itch!! :lol:

cliokiz
02-11-2010, 10:04
If you remove that driveshaft it shouldn't affect the oil seal at all.

But there is a seal behind that splined shaft (quite a large black one) which might not be seated correctly or might be old/damaged and causing the leak. Or it could be leaking from the speedo cable area above?

Wobba
04-11-2010, 01:21
Right what I want to know is is it possible to repair with the gearbox in situ with the driveshaft output shaft seal, or is it a 'box out job. If so I may have it modified more or have another 'box rebuilt and crown wheel modified and ready for my limited slip diff.

Evogone
04-11-2010, 07:12
Right what I want to know is is it possible to repair with the gearbox in situ with the driveshaft output shaft seal, or is it a 'box out job. If so I may have it modified more or have another 'box rebuilt and crown wheel modified and ready for my limited slip diff.

That seal can be replaced with box in. Have a look at the seal to see if its in properly and up square, mine leaked here and was pushed back into position and was fine. If it needs replacing then it should just be a case of removing the shaft and fitting a new seal.

northy
04-11-2010, 09:30
ring them and ask why its leaking - thats what WARRANTIES are for !

Wobba
12-11-2010, 19:54

That seal can be replaced with box in. Have a look at the seal to see if its in properly and up square, mine leaked here and was pushed back into position and was fine. If it needs replacing then it should just be a case of removing the shaft and fitting a new seal.

Dont spose you or anyone else has a pic to hand? I'll be under the car tomorrow, be nice to get it sorted if I can.

Wobba
14-11-2010, 02:01
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSC00315.jpg

Is it simply the black cover there?

Wobba
14-11-2010, 02:34
Right. If we lookey here:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/diffseal.jpg

Part 10 is the bit that is in my pic I believe. It's the diff seal, part number 77 03 087 148.

Seeing that though I get a better understanding of the seal itself. I suspect the old one is fine and just need pushing in a bit. May have gotten dislodged when I hit driveshaft roll pin with hammer and hit casing instead :/

cliokiz
15-11-2010, 14:45
Remove the driveshaft from the box and the 'black cover' you refer to in your picture is actually the seal.

You could try reseating it to see if the leak stops, but bear in mind if you remove the seal you'll get covered in gearbox oil unless you drain it first.

Might be worth just getting a new seal and tapping it into place. Make sure you get the 'O' ring you can see in the dialogies too. Not sure if this seals the gearbox at all, but i think it's there to seal the spined part into the driveshaft to prevent moisture entering and rusting the two together.

I always apply pleeenty of copper grease to the spine when refitting the driveshafts.