PDA

View Full Version : Subframe rubber sleeve removal

Red_Dash
27-10-2010, 20:19
At the rear of the subframe, where it bolts to the chassis, there's a rubber sleeve which the bolt goes through (it's only on one side though). I'm going to get the subframe powder coated so I need to get this removed. However I don't understand how to get the damn thing out. Can anyone help please? - Also, can you get new ones from Renault?

While I'm on the subject of powder coating, is there anyone in the North West that does acid dipping of parts before the powder coating process?

One other thing :D, Can you get replacement rubbers for the dogbone engine mount and if so how do you get the original rubbers out; is it just brute force?

fab
27-10-2010, 20:50
I'll answer the first part. I needed brute force to get that rubber sleeve out but I was fitting it to a new sub-frame so didnt care.
Just be careful.

Justin..
27-10-2010, 20:58
I just left it when I powder coated my subframe

Red_Dash
27-10-2010, 21:06
I just left it when I powder coated my subframe

Did you not have any problems with it melting when they baked the powder coat?

Justin..
27-10-2010, 21:07
No

stevie_b
27-10-2010, 23:21
I left mine in for powdercoating too. It came back with an outer coating that stiffens it up a bit :lol:

As for the dogbone I just used a jigsaw to cut acoss the rubber part - once that was broken it is easy to just bend it away from the outer edge and remove the old bush. I then replaced it with a poly bush from Powerflex.

Allan
30-10-2010, 15:55
same as, just had one powder coated this week and its been fine

Red_Dash
30-10-2010, 20:17
Cool - thanks. I'll leave it in then :-)