PDA

View Full Version : **Carbon Fibre - Fibre Glass Bonnets**

LEIGH-ANNE
26-10-2010, 22:48
I can now sell ANY carbon fibre, fibreglass composite panels through work. I dont just supply Renault stuff im able to offer panels for other cars aswell. Im able to sell panels for the 172/182

Prices for Clio Mk1 Bonnets

- Fibreglass including internals £250

- Carbon fibre with internals £450

Postage £30

Ive done a bit of searching around and cant find any cheaper than that brand new! If you can, send me the link and id be happy to possibly match the price.

I can sell both as a single skin layer which would be without internals.

Below are some pics i took today of one that was already made. Its part carbon and part glass. This one has internals and connects to the car in the normal way.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/leighanne21/WILLIAMS%20CLIO/IMG_0984.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/leighanne21/WILLIAMS%20CLIO/IMG_0985.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/leighanne21/WILLIAMS%20CLIO/IMG_0983.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/leighanne21/WILLIAMS%20CLIO/IMG_0982.jpg

We only have the one mould for churning these bonnets out. Timescales are on a first come first serve basis with the first coming to us in around 2 weeks time as ive had them make one up a carbon one already.

After that timescales are likely to be every 2 weeks per bonnet.

If your intrested then please contact me through pm. Any questions then gimme a shout, ill get back to you as soon as i can.

cliokongen
26-10-2010, 22:53
Looking good - great initiative! :D

How much for a carbon fibre single skin layer without internals?

Michael

LEIGH-ANNE
26-10-2010, 23:05
Ahhh just the man! Ill send you a pm :wink:

I knew someone would ask that. That answer i dont know at this pricise time im afraid. At a guess i would say around £300

:D

snowman
26-10-2010, 23:14
very interested,how do carbon bonnets deal with engine heat,does it ever warp/discolour?

LEIGH-ANNE
26-10-2010, 23:25
Well our company churn them out couple of days.

The cars we make bonnets for are generally race cars which have MUCH bigger engines and obviously get a lot hotter than our clios ever will i think.

I really dont think theres any course for concern at all in regards to heat warping the carbon.

The bonnets are made up of carbon and a special gel coat which really is durable. Ive personally tried to break a sheet thats been gelled up to proove them it can be broken...i failed lol

cliokongen
26-10-2010, 23:25
very interested,how do carbon bonnets deal with engine heat,does it ever warp/discolour?

The carbon itself will stand the heat just fine.
The clear coat laquer might be an issue if not done properly.
Apart from that - should be just fine.

LEIGH-ANNE
26-10-2010, 23:30

The carbon itself will stand the heat just fine.
The clear coat laquer might be an issue if not done properly.
Apart from that - should be just fine.

Yer ive seen a bad job where the heat has got under the laquer and distorted it all and caused bubbling

Luckily we do it right :wink:

dkrevs
27-10-2010, 06:53
Looking good! =D>

Evogone
27-10-2010, 08:28
What about tailgates ? im after one of these.

fab
27-10-2010, 08:54
^
and leigh-anne can you give us some idea of the weight saving the fibre glass bonnet can give? Might help steer some of us over to the dark side :wink:
Is the mounting exactly the same as the standard bonnet? Any pics of the internals?cheers,
fab.

LEIGH-ANNE
27-10-2010, 09:31
Looking good! =D>

(Not recieved bolts yet)

Evogone, we dont have a mould yet for any other panels, but im on the case to persuade the boss its in hes intrests to do so. And luckily i have 2 clio's to make the moulds from so wont be an issue if he agrees :wink:

The only one we have is that split half carbon, and half glass one. So i cannot give exact weights as yet of what they both will weigh.

Postage is done by volume and not weight so there arent weights anywhere that i could compare to. Ill get the weight of the one above. The carbon fibre one will be lighter and the fibreglass one will be ever so slightly heavier. There really is not a lot of difference in weights between the 2 anycase.

fab
27-10-2010, 09:40
I was thinking in terms of how much lighter are these to a standard bonnet. If you said to me the difference is 20kg or so I'd snap at one.They look awesome anyhow but you will have an edge if you get those weight specs. :wink:

stevie_b
27-10-2010, 09:41
^
and leigh-anne can you give us some idea of the weight saving the fibre glass bonnet can give? Might help steer some of us over to the dark side :wink:
Is the mounting exactly the same as the standard bonnet? Any pics of the internals?cheers,
fab.

If it helps I have a FG skin bonnet (no internals - pinned) and it weighs about 5kg. The original was 17kg, so a 12kg weight saving. Other than junking the standard seats I think this was about the biggest weight saving on a single item I achieved on my car, so is pretty much a must if you are embarking on a weight saving programme!

LEIGH-ANNE
27-10-2010, 09:41
Im pretty certain they are about 5kg. But will get the certain weight in a mo once i call them to weigh it. :wink:

fab
27-10-2010, 10:14
If it helps I have a FG skin bonnet (no internals - pinned) and it weighs about 5kg. The original was 17kg, so a 12kg weight saving. Other than junking the standard seats I think this was about the biggest weight saving on a single item I achieved on my car, so is pretty much a must if you are embarking on a weight saving programme!

Thats an impressive enough weight saving for me. Means I can eat the odd big-mac and not have to worry about bogging the car down with my lard ass :lol:
Seriously though, ive been wanting one of these for a long time. Hope I can get the monies together for you leigh-anne.

LEIGH-ANNE
27-10-2010, 10:22
A bit more info for you guys.

We use 200g weight of carbon fibre which then gets covered with 1 layer of gel coat which has a special uv protection aswell.

Ill be getting pics of the internals later too.

Prices for the bonnets without internals will be £100 cheaper.

Evogone
27-10-2010, 11:20
Whos up for a tailgate?

A&P
27-10-2010, 12:03
That looks great LA have to save some cash for the carbon one.Very tempting Evogone very tempting indeed wonder how much they would be?

As im looking to undercut everyone else, cos i can :lol: They would be in the region of about £200

Wobba
27-10-2010, 13:15
Very nice LA.

Tempted.

Let's face it though lads...it's not just about the weight is it? Bling factor comes into play with this kinda stuff too eh :wink:

I may be asking a daft question here, but I guess without internals you need bonnet pins, or can you still have the OE mounting bolts?

fab
27-10-2010, 13:25
nah the weight saving comes second in priority, construction and bling factor are first for me also..but knowing the weight saving should help the sales!

LEIGH-ANNE
27-10-2010, 13:56
Very nice LA.

Tempted.

Let's face it though lads...it's not just about the weight is it? Bling factor comes into play with this kinda stuff too eh :wink:

I may be asking a daft question here, but I guess without internals you need bonnet pins, or can you still have the OE mounting bolts?

You guess right. If you dont have internals your have to pin and catch it on.

richy
27-10-2010, 18:26

and one less thing to rust on a mk1!!! :lol:

regarding pinning its easy enough although depending where you decide to pin one you may need to drill some additional holes,
bit of a pain if you just wanna check the oil etc as you need to put it somewere without the wind taking it lol,
but much better when you need to fix something as its dead easy to remove a pinned bonnet.

thaijedi
27-10-2010, 18:34
looks good the the weght saving is top's as well.

what resin have you used and which do you intend to use on the pure carbon, pollyester or epoxy..

Also how do you intend to make them.. are they all wet lay ups, vac bag or do you have a kilm so you can use pre preg each method has a plus and a price i no.

ThRaXaIR
27-10-2010, 18:58
if anyones seen my car...its a single skin fibreglass/carbon fibre one with no internals thats pinned and i loooooooove it!

i'd be interested in tailgate....and lets not beat around the bush....i want carbon rear quarters!!! :D

LEIGH-ANNE
27-10-2010, 19:12
Pics of the internals... Internals, for both carbon and glass are made from fibreglass.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/leighanne21/WILLIAMS%20CLIO/P1010335.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/leighanne21/WILLIAMS%20CLIO/P1010334.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/leighanne21/WILLIAMS%20CLIO/P1010333.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/leighanne21/WILLIAMS%20CLIO/P1010332.jpg

Dan it isnt me personally making them, its the place i work thats doing all the hard work. They have a big walk in oven if thats any use to you in regards to how they are finished.

Tom - Yer i love your bonnet too. And NO to the rear quarters you awkward person you :P

fab
27-10-2010, 20:07
:yourock:

just to clarify..
the first pictures above are part carbon and part fibre which go on sale for £250 +delivery

The second option is fully carbon which I am assuming is completely carbon on the outside (and the internals are glass) and goes for £450 + delivery

Not sure which I like the best..hhmm

snowman
27-10-2010, 20:11
No,the above one is £395

Wobba
28-10-2010, 13:50
The example in the pics is £395? Looks really nice.

There is no built in bonnet support lever for these is there? I've seen others use a safety wire tied to the bonnet catch.

Could you supply and possibly fit these as well?

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/images//fastnerscatchesl/120-2000.jpg

snowman
28-10-2010, 16:54
hmm,not too sure if theres no bonnet support as not convinced the small wire strap is enough tbh

stevie_b
28-10-2010, 17:13
I wouldn't want to prop any of these lightweight bonnets open for long - you'd be surprised how strong a gust of wind is against such a large surface area and I would think it could quite easily tear the mounting off or break the bonnet in half! Once mine was on the car in the garage but without the pins in and still the wind got to it, underneath it, and blew it clean off the car!

ThRaXaIR
28-10-2010, 22:43
O leigh-anne you spoilsport! :( ;)

LEIGH-ANNE
28-10-2010, 22:45
:yourock:

just to clarify..
the first pictures above are part carbon and part fibre which go on sale for £250 +delivery

The second option is fully carbon which I am assuming is completely carbon on the outside (and the internals are glass) and goes for £450 + delivery

Not sure which I like the best..hhmm

The pictures are of only 1 bonnet. Which is £395 and is a mixture of carbon fibre and fibreglass.

Just to clarify - the carbon fibre ones still have fibreglass internals if you still choose them.

LEIGH-ANNE
28-10-2010, 23:01
hmm,not too sure if theres no bonnet support as not convinced the small wire strap is enough tbh

Ive not seen 1 carbon/glass bonnet which is held on in the normal way, all the ones ive seen thraxair, f0xy and whiteleys are all pinned down so wind isnt an issue.

Dan we can supply and fit anything - thats wot we do :wink:

snowman
28-10-2010, 23:08
i understand,i dont want pins :(

zmaster2k
29-10-2010, 16:34
Whos up for a tailgate?

price dependant 8)

do you take most major credit cards? :twisted: :twisted:

LEIGH-ANNE
29-10-2010, 17:00
As I said. If we can get 5 people who want a tailgate I'm aloud to get one made.

And yes, credit cards are accepted :wink:

zmaster2k
29-10-2010, 17:05
cant commit with out a rough price LA

fab
30-10-2010, 09:57
i'll commit to a tailgate when knowing the price also.
as for the bonnet i'm erring on the side of snowman (as i'm not as hardcore as the rest of yous :lol:) and ideally would want to secure the bonnet in the normal way(without pins) or alternative solution. that would be reel sweet for me!thanks.

northy
30-10-2010, 10:51
what size is that slick tyre L ???

Evogone
30-10-2010, 11:07

Looks like a touring car 17" 235 width one.

Evogone
30-10-2010, 11:07
Can you do doors as well as rear tailgates...

Doors in carbon big weight saving.!

LEIGH-ANNE
30-10-2010, 11:31

This big >>> :hug:

LEIGH-ANNE
30-10-2010, 11:37
We only hold the moulds for a bonnet at the moment.

We hold ALL panels iirc for the mk2 tho....

Id prob be able to do the tailgates for around the £250 mark. Bearing in mind we need a good handfull to hand over a deposit so i could get the mould underway, we wouldnt be making anything on like the first 5 which would entirely pay for the mould.

Ill be making a thread shortly selling the carbon door cards.

So who does actually want a bonnet then?

fab
30-10-2010, 12:27
ah ffs the tailgate you mean the whole tail?? i thought it was just the handle part? :oops:
ive just been warned by the other half about the bonnet and i'm afraid shes the one with all the cash! i know you accept cc cards but i'm on the limit of mine at the moment.

fab
02-11-2010, 12:47
after some careful deliberation (whatever that means LOL) screw the tailgate as were not driving lardass golfs here lads!
Also I mis-understood snowman and co as they were referring to the single skin bonnet without internals. Well I just want the bling!
I want a carbon bonnet!! :evil: and the tailgate handle and one of those mocal coolers from you LA. I'm in the process of raising some funds so I will PM you when ready.
Cheers,
Fab.
p.s if anyone has a pic of a full carbon bonnet that would be neat as I'm not sure which to go for.

fab
03-11-2010, 16:36
This is a tough decision. Not sure which to go for. I'm thinking fully carbon but it would have to be very well woven to suit my tastes. I'm not a huge fan of carbon but i have seen some tasty finish's. And it's difficult to tell without seeing it for real.
The one in the pics is sweet but I'm not sure having the bonnet in that colour (black) really suits the 449 of the willy. just dont know :( Need some inspiration!

LEIGH-ANNE
03-11-2010, 16:58
You may well get pics as the carbon one that was started might have finished by now...

snowman
03-11-2010, 17:12
LA ,have i got something wrong then,the bonnets with the full internals ,do they come with the bonnet stay and would have everything that the standard metal ones have?? :oops:

fab
03-11-2010, 19:41
You may well get pics as the carbon one that was started might have finished by now...

and you know where I want to see it mounted when your taking pics :wink:

snowman, i think they have everything a regular bonnet has..in that it locks down..dunno about the stay though :?: i'm sure it has.

LEIGH-ANNE
03-11-2010, 20:48
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The bonnet with full internals come as the picture shows above. When you say bonnet stay you mean the wire strap yeah?

Fab DONT worry ill take pics on that tyre again no probs!

fab
03-11-2010, 20:53
the wire yes cool what about the rod yokey thingy magigy that hooks into the slam panel?

and yes LA we want your best pose :lol: :lol: 8)

LEIGH-ANNE
03-11-2010, 20:59
Impossible if im taking the pictures so afraid thats out of the question lol

Im going to have to look into this - tbh its probably going to be the same type of hassle trying to get it attached to the internals over trying to keep the wind off it....even with a strap fitted.

fab
03-11-2010, 21:13
ok see what more you can find out.
we need some eye candy like you see at nascar events etc to convince us!! :lol:

LEIGH-ANNE
03-11-2010, 21:15
ok see what more you can find out.
we need some eye candy like you see at nascar events etc to convince us!! :lol:

That isnt going to get you discount fab :D

fab
03-11-2010, 21:23
lol ive already paid in principle! should of asked for discount..what a sucker i am :wink:

zmaster2k
03-11-2010, 22:45
We only hold the moulds for a bonnet at the moment.

We hold ALL panels iirc for the mk2 tho....

Id prob be able to do the tailgates for around the £250 mark. Bearing in mind we need a good handfull to hand over a deposit so i could get the mould underway, we wouldnt be making anything on like the first 5 which would entirely pay for the mould.

Ill be making a thread shortly selling the carbon door cards.

So who does actually want a bonnet then?
That carbon boot for around £250?! I'm in!

Wobba
10-11-2010, 14:22
Kevlar

LEIGH-ANNE
10-11-2010, 16:04
What u ranting about now wobba?

Wobba
10-11-2010, 19:46
What u ranting about now wobba?

I never ever ever rant! Ever! I am a model member of WilliamsClio Club :D

I was just wondering if kevlar was an option. The weave colour is slightly different, kinda saffron yellow. Anyone ever seen one like that before on a Clio? Would a kevlar bonnet be a first?

LEIGH-ANNE
10-11-2010, 20:25
It would be the first ive heard of as it is a bit more than the carbon fibre. I have pics of a carbon kevlar bonnet on a pug

Chadwick
28-07-2011, 20:58
hmm!! I like this old thread.. Did anyone buy one?

Also, it may sound daft.. But, can you paint carbon? I'd like to be able to see the weave, but still have my blue willy..

Wobba
09-11-2012, 21:41
I am goin to get one before long :D These are still available. Yey!

Wobba
09-11-2012, 21:42
hmm!! I like this old thread.. Did anyone buy one?

Also, it may sound daft.. But, can you paint carbon? I'd like to be able to see the weave, but still have my blue willy..

Hi! Yes, you can paint and varnish over them. It is done on many cars like this.

Kris2012
10-11-2012, 15:21
Just seen this. I've been contemplating a new bonnet and at least respraying mine.

Interesting (oh no)

Jamie Summers
12-11-2012, 13:59
Just seen this. I've been contemplating a new bonnet and at least respraying mine.

Interesting (oh no)

Have a look at the Carbon Door Cards thread ................

Wobba
24-06-2013, 12:32
Still available?

Jamie Summers
05-07-2013, 14:23
Still available?

Carbon / glass bonnets, door cards, light covers, splitters and diffusers still available from Autocross ........

http://www.autocrossltd.com/index.html

Jamie