PDA

View Full Version : Twin weber carbs for a williams

wardY
26-10-2010, 19:12
Hi guys, I was thinking about getting twin weber carbs for my williams and was wondering does anyone have any info on this type of performance enhancement? I rang up Prima Racing and they supply and fit a kit for £1200. Ive cammed my engine with piper pullies, super chipped it with 4 branch manifold. With the carbs will it be too much strain on the engine and will it be worth it? Thanks :-)

A&P
26-10-2010, 20:38
I'm a big fan of carbs really old school but itb really the way to go for the road and to be honest bike carbs work as good as webbers for fraction of the cost. Carbs will need setting up and balancing from time to time and I see your car is chipped that will mean nothing on carbs best go disyless for that. As I say I luuuuuv carbs and thats whats going on the cup but thats a competition car and nothing else. Plus you need to lower rad and so on. If you do go for carbs DONT OVER CHOKE bigger chokes dont mean more power. Hope that helps just my opinion ANDREW.

wardY
26-10-2010, 21:14
Thanks for that mate, I think I'll get them. Would I need to get an after-market sport fuel pump? Will the carbs use a lot more fuel?

What do you mean about the choking, is it another performance part, this type of modification is all new to me so Im learning as we go :-) Thanks.

Laine_16v
26-10-2010, 21:34
no uprated fuel pump required, stock is fine.

A&P
26-10-2010, 21:44
You will need low pressure fuel pump, fuel regulator, change the rad for a lower one other guys on the site can advise you on which one to get , remove std fuel pump and make a pick up that sits in swirl pot in the tank change throttle cable, carbs also suffer from vibration make sure you get correct mtg for inlet.For me bike carbs would be better for what you want about £500 for everything and you dont change the rad, easier to set up and jet. for£1200 your close to itb set up and I cant stress enough that itb are better for the road and ultimate power gains because you can map fuel and ignition more accuratley to your engine.Is the car track or road car? thats the question youve got to ask youself big choke meens poor air speed will suffer from "bogging down" how wild are your cams will they need a big choke? Hope not confusing the issue dont want to see you spend money on something that you cant live with day to day, as I say I luv carbs but I know my way round them. CHEERS ANDREW. :D

A&P
26-10-2010, 22:10
Just noticed in your original question prima supply and fit the kit for £1200 so you should not need to buy any pump , reg or anything. If £1200 is the driveaway price thats good tbh and it will be set up by them.Still recomend itb for everyday use. :wink:

dkrevs
27-10-2010, 06:47
Still recomend itb for everyday use. :wink:
True that.

For better undestanding of Weber carbs or ITB's I would recommend you a book written by Dave Walker, it's called Engine management, and it's pretty good, IMHO.

wardY
27-10-2010, 12:13
Thanks for the advice lads. :-)

I do recall Prima racing saying that the kit is bike carb's but I'll ring them again to double check and ask them what exactly I'll get with the deal.

I thought it was a good price for the kit and fitting which is why I did not go for the ITB (throttle bodies?) Ive spoke to a chap from GDI tuning once and he said throttle bodies would cost me £3000 and I would imagine more for fitting which is too much for me. Is it really that expensive for ITB's???

I think I'll buy that book at the weekend and have a read, thanks. :-)

Wobba
27-10-2010, 13:32
Still recomend itb for everyday use. :wink:
True that.

For better undestanding of Weber carbs or ITB's I would recommend you a book written by Dave Walker, it's called Engine management, and it's pretty good, IMHO.

I've got this book, he goes into some detail regarding the set up of carbs.

There's a fair amount on engine theory and the development of engine management to how it is today.

For the basics, its a good start. Covers some data on ITB's as well.

A&P
27-10-2010, 13:47
Agree got that book myself even if you know about these things still a cracking book and well writen.If you do go for bike carbs I have been experimenting with them and they give good results for the money and really easy to fit and set up yourself, I know a lot of guys on here dont like them but they do work and work well , just speaking from experience.

dkrevs
27-10-2010, 18:09
...easy to fit and set up yourself...
Well I wouldn't be so sure on easy setting them. Robi1000 has them on his AX Sport. He had(still has) two sets of bike carbs(R6 and older CBR) and non of them are perfectly set. He knows a lot about this and has put much work into this but they are still not working and giving what they should(except of noise :lol:). I don't know how some people just fit them, drill main jets a little and they're running just fine. :(

@wardY: My advice is to go for ITB's. They really cost more than carbs, but they are superior to them. Fuel consumption and performance wise they are better. You can use bike throttle bodies and save some money.
You can only lower the cost much by doing things yourself, but you need a lot of knowledge for that...

A&P
27-10-2010, 18:48
As I have already said itbs are better just advising the guy on the question he asked, and bike carbs are easy to set up please believe me I am not making it up. I knew I was asking for trouble responding to this one :( .

dkrevs
27-10-2010, 19:00
As I have already said itbs are better just advising the guy on the question he asked, and bike carbs are easy to set up please believe me I am not making it up. I knew I was asking for trouble responding to this one :( .
I belive you. I just wanna say that in some cases it may not be so easy as some people say. I mean it's not 100% that it will work right away. No offense, mate.

A&P
27-10-2010, 19:13
Non taken bud. Think we are all passionate petrol heads at the end of the day.And I do see your point. :D

dkrevs
27-10-2010, 19:45
Think we are all passionate petrol heads at the end of the day.
That's for sure! :D

wardY
28-10-2010, 12:45
Hiya lads, I'll get a chance to ring up Prima Racing tomorrow and get the exact details of what and how they go about fitting and parts used with the twin carbs. I'll let you all know what they say tomorrow. I would much rather have the throttle bodies for better performance but not got the £3000 ish price for them. :-(

It looks likely that I'll have them fitted at Prima sometime in the next two weeks so I'll keep you posted and let you know about the performance side of things. Thanks lads :-)

Neepdocker
30-10-2010, 20:58
Thanks for the advice lads. :-)

I do recall Prima racing saying that the kit is bike carb's . :-)

Prima Racing source there bike carb kit's from Bogg Brothers.You buy the same substandard kit from Bogg Brothers for < £500.Be warned!

Allan
31-10-2010, 12:39
Wouldn't trust prima as far as i could throw them tbh :P
They are about 10 mins from my house and every time i have been down to enquire about anything they have never been intrested enough to talk.
Ignore you when you there in person wanting to spend money...
So if anything goes wrong i can see them being no different.

cliorod
31-10-2010, 14:10
Ignore you when you there in person wanting to spend money...
So if anything goes wrong i can see them being no different.

Allan, to be honest it depends who is there and quite honestly the engine/gearbox work is offloaded to sub~contract.I am not 100% but I think Tony Hart (owner) has sold the business,so not sure who is running it ~~ I aint been to the Shop/workshop for ages.
Neil who built ALL the engines for Prima ,now works for himself at his home ~~~He does all my engines etc and I have never had any problems in 20 years of dealing with them (him) :wink: Rod

Allan
31-10-2010, 22:43
well i know i trust rod :) so guess its probably just been the people who i got rather then the business as a whole

wardY
02-11-2010, 20:23
I did speak to them the again and I know what you mean about they way they speak to you (not really interested in your custom.) They said they could only fit me in, in about 4 weeks time, but from of the comments Im thinking twice now. ?