PDA

View Full Version : Advise?

C3 WLM
22-10-2010, 20:07
Hello all, took the Willy to work to day, my Friday treat, and just got a few questions, as I'm getting more attune:

1. Have a little play in the steering, apparently it had a new steering rack about 20,000 miles ago, any ideas?

2. Seems to be high geared, 70mph in 5th equates to approx 3500rpm is this about right?

3. Brakes are really spongy, prob as I'm used to modern ones. Any recommendations for the best up grades, even 4/6 pots?

thanks in advance, Paul.

wrighty
22-10-2010, 20:34
Hello all, took the Willy to work to day, my Friday treat, and just got a few questions, as I'm getting more attune:

1. Have a little play in the steering, apparently it had a new steering rack about 20,000 miles ago, any ideas?

More than likely the steering column, common for these. There is a rubber bush at the bottom knuckle joint that wears over time. 2 general options, weld the joint or replace. It may also be the rack arms but unlikely, poss rod ends.

2. Seems to be high geared, 70mph in 5th equates to approx 3500rpm is this about right?

Yes seems same as mine

3. Brakes are really spongy, prob as I'm used to modern ones. Any recommendations for the best up grades, even 4/6 pots?
Got tarox 6 pots on mine which are great but would recommend simple things like brake fluid change first. I would not pay the extra for the 6 pots personnally unless you want more of a track toy as I dont think standard brakes are too bad.

thanks in advance, Paul.

Brealbags
22-10-2010, 21:11
I upgraded my brakes to 172 set up. It's not easy though but great results on the road. Any more would be overkill IMO

Wobba
22-10-2010, 22:34
Ahhh...the slippery slope to obsessive car maintenance starts here my friend ;)

Weld the column. Buy a spare, have it welded, replace in an hour or so.

Brakes? Just bleed them for now and check pads. You can get calliper repair kits from Renault as well if you want but that wont improve sponginess.

Sounds about right with gearing I think...

Brealbags
22-10-2010, 23:48
Braided hoses :D

Brealbags
22-10-2010, 23:54
Sorry yeah you've got to bleed them up and see if it makes a difference first.

If there is no record of any recent brake fluid change then replace it. Most manufactures say to replace the fluid every 2 years and some performance companies say every year. I know we all know this but il say it anyway, brake fluid is hygroscopic- absorbs moisture from the air. This will lower its boiling point and the increased moisture content allows little air pockets to form which will compress giving the spongy pedal syndrome.

C3 WLM
23-10-2010, 11:47
Thank everyone, first stop then new pads and a bleed! Also are there any tell tale signs of a damaged rack (visually)?

Wobba, obsessive is my middle name, just the Williams is the new object of my desires, do you know if there is a cure, even depleted bank balances or a Mrs D haven't curbed my enthusiasm in the past! :lol:

Slagathore
24-10-2010, 17:45
Had the fluid changed on my car recently. Was hoping it would help with the spongy feeling, it didn't make any difference to the feel.

I spoke to Gaz about fitting braided hoses whilst it was all being done, but he said it'll most likely all be rusted and seized up, and he was right!

It would have involved a lot more work to do the braided hoses aswell, but if you're car's brakes and calipers are in decent condition, it probably won't be quite as hard to do.