PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft query

stevie_b
15-10-2010, 11:17
My Williams driveshaft came apart on the driver's side near the gearbox due to the subframe being loose and shifting:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/wil295_6.jpg

I have inspected both the cup and the tripod part that slots into it and neither seem damaged. I have undone the front strut and removed the driveshaft and have managed to slide it back into the cup without any problem, and I think if I bolt everything back up and sort the loose subframe it will probably stay in position in future. Is there normally anything that keeps the tripod located within the cup that I may have broken, such that I would need to replace the driveshaft, or should I be okay now?

cliokiz
15-10-2010, 12:25
Looks like you may have torn the rubber boot? As long as the rubber boot is securely fastened to the cup with CV grease inside, and a rollpin through the driveshaft into the gearbox spline, it'll be fine.

stevie_b
15-10-2010, 12:43
Great, thanks. Rubber boot is actually fine, no tears or splits. It attaches to a metal cylinder which seems to slot over the 'cup' part of the CV joint at the other end. I think the roll pin is through the short shaft between the CV 'cup' and the gearbox, so that is still in situ.

Wobba
15-10-2010, 13:29
No harm in putting the car together and testing it out tbh.

That joint went on mine recently and it gave vibration when cornering and when you pushed/pulled the shaft it moved a lot within the gaiter. New one didn't.

If its shagged and you can tell when driving, replace it. If not, happy days.

stevie_b
15-10-2010, 13:34
Yes, that's what I was thinking. As I slid it back in it seems quite a secure fit so hopefully no slop in there that will have it knocking around and I'll be back on the road with just a couple of subframe bolts (7 quid each from Renault :shock:) and a dogbone. If it does wobble then new shaft it is.