PDA

View Full Version : Rear braking compensator

fab
13-10-2010, 16:31
Hi. can anyone tell me, to determine if the compensator is working properly should the lever on the braking compensator move in and out freely like say the feeling you get from pressing the accelerator or when pressing the lever in and out should it feel like say pressing the clutch?

Thanks!

cliokiz
13-10-2010, 17:14
In the past mine have been quite free, flapping all over the place, that was on a lowered car though..

fab
13-10-2010, 19:11
yep i was thinking it would have to be very easy to move around otherwise how would that little spring adjust it with the height going up and down on the rear?

Coops
13-10-2010, 21:30
should flap pretty free,then adjust spring assembly to stop it rattling.shouldnt feel as stiff as any pedal really

fab
13-10-2010, 22:07
cheers coops. reading some old posts it seems that the 2 nuts should be tightened with the wheels are on the ground just so far as when the spring starts to close the valve.
So my question is now..when the lever/valve is pressed fully in does this mean i am getting full breaking effort onto the rear wheels or vice versa?

Coops
13-10-2010, 22:40
adjust it to those specs

then hammer an emergency stop in the dry, if rears lock up before the fronts then readjust to suit

fab
14-10-2010, 17:25
ok I got it flapping around like well lets just say a flappy thing :lol:

surely there is a default position? dont really want to be going around drawing attention to myself doin emergency stops! My driving is bad enough :wink:

The old post says tighten the nut till the spring begins to tension. ive done this with wheels on the ground and it appears that when I lift the back up and down there is movement on the flapper. cool so far.
But i still dont know if it is in the correct position. let me put it this way, the flapper, is dead straight when the car is on normal height. Sound about right?