PDA

View Full Version : Master cylinder thoughts

Red_Dash
11-10-2010, 13:07
Hi All

I got the master cylinder off my Willy 1 yesterday and TBH the outer black paint is looking quite rusty, although there were no mechanical issues when it was on the car. Considering that I'm doing an overhaul of the car at the moment, and that I'm getting alot of parts powdercoated back to the original colour, should I get this powdercoated too and fit a cylinder repair kit if there is one, or is it just as cheap to but a new master cylinder from Renault? My main worry is dirt getting into the cylinder while it's at the powder coaters.

Cheers,
Dave

stevie_b
11-10-2010, 13:22
Do you mean powder coating the brake cylinder part or just the bowl? If it is just the bowl you should be fine as you can take the master cylinder itself off before you send that to the powder coaters and it should be reasonably easy to clean any dirt out of the bowl when they return it to you. I just painted mine with Hammerite, but no reason powder coating wouldn't be fine too.

Red_Dash
11-10-2010, 19:53
Hi Steve

Yes it's just the bowl. I didn't realise that the cylinder and bowl are 2 separate pieces. That's good, I'll just separate them and get the bowl powder coated.

Cheers,
Dave

stevie_b
11-10-2010, 21:31
Yes, it is in two parts. Just undo the two sets of nuts and the master cylinder will slide out of the bowl and you can then just send that part away. Once separated I painted both the bowl and the cylinder on mine. Couple of coats of hammerite and that should keep the rust away for many a year!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/servo1.jpg