PDA

View Full Version : winter storage

rochdale_williams
10-10-2010, 20:51
Putting the Williams away for winter any advise, prep, weekly checks, monthly checks. Cheers.

FATBOY
10-10-2010, 21:21
well everyone knows this but dont put the handbrake on just leave in gear. and disconnect the battery.

stevie_b
10-10-2010, 22:12
Or get a battery conditioner. I had a couple of disconnected batteries killed by the cold weather (it sometimes goes below zero in my garage) but since I have been leaving them on a Ctek all winter they have always been fine come the spring.

Put a few extra psi in the tyres to prevent flat-spotting, or support the car on axle stands.

fab
10-10-2010, 22:20
Used to store the car for months on end when not in use. Aswell as all the suggestions above I used a portable humidifier (you know the ones that come with the sachets) and when I came back to the car it smelt as fresh as daisies :wink: The one time I didnt use it, stank like hell. They work great.
Gaz once suggested using a sponge up the exhaust tailpipe.

FATBOY
11-10-2010, 21:31
how do these conditioners work steve??? just plug into mains? and leave connected to battery???

stevie_b
12-10-2010, 08:24
Yep, you just plug them into the mains and keep them connected. Once the battery is fully charged they pulse condition it to keep it fully charged and in good condition over a period of months. I have batteries on the kart, mowers, etc. which are not used for months on end and whilst I used to lose them over the winter I have never had a battery die on me that has been left connected to one of these. I have a few chargers now and the CTEK XS3600 is definitely the best I've used. I can't remember if the Clio has a live cigarette lighter (stays on with ignition key removed) but if so you can charge via that or use the crocodile clips or there is also a lead that you hard-wire onto your battery with a little connector that you plug into, so I have fitted those to most of the fleet and then you can plug/unplug them from the charger without even having to open the bonnet!

I think the few Ctek's that I have I picked up in cheaper in Costco. It is also worth mentioning that if you already have a charger you need to check it is okay for continuous connection as some of the older ones would damage the battery if you left them charging for months on end.

FATBOY
12-10-2010, 19:11
i think i get ya??? at the end you mention keeping a charger connected? i have to connect the conditioner and a battery charger at the same time and keep them connected?

vkosho
14-10-2010, 01:20
1.Tuck up nicely in blanket.
2.crack a beer and consider high levels of jammyness.
3.laugh at those less fortunate soon to be salted out.

:roll:

stevie_b
14-10-2010, 08:14
i think i get ya??? at the end you mention keeping a charger connected? i have to connect the conditioner and a battery charger at the same time and keep them connected?

No, the 'conditioner' is just a function of the charger. Some (generally older) just charge a battery and need to be disconnected once the battery is fully charged to avoid damaging it, whereas nowadays there are 'conditioner' models that can be left connected all the time (e.g. when the car is in storage). Get a Ctek XS3600 for about £45. It charges almost dead batteries back up to 12v when some of my other chargers don't want to recognise a battery has been connected. You can leave it connected all the time to a car in storage and the battery will be tip top and fully charged whenever you need it. Review of various chargers here: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/242839/battery_chargers_tested.html that might be of some interest.

LEIGH-ANNE
14-10-2010, 12:22
1.Tuck up nicely in blanket.
2.crack a beer and consider high levels of jammyness.
3.laugh at those less fortunate soon to be salted out.

:roll:

lol

Both of mine are going away soon :D

rochdale_williams
14-10-2010, 12:31
I will bask in my jammyness, but regret my winter car is a 53 plate stolid or a mk1 fiesta show car.

rochdale_williams
14-10-2010, 12:33
:oops: :oops: stilo I meant

vkosho
14-10-2010, 18:04
:oops: :oops: stilo I meant

That deserves to be salty. :lol:

LA. I am utterly envious!! Got plans for next year though hopefully giving her what she deserves.

schakal
14-10-2010, 18:10
winter storage is for poofters and trailer queens imo .
on a second note ,rust is lighter than sheet metal , WIN !!!

8)

Smokey McPot
14-10-2010, 18:30
I just took the battery out and left the handbrake off.

Should probably lock 123 away soon, maybe when it gets icy, it ****ed the little bit of rust on the drivers side arch, and now its got full blown cancer.

Tommo
14-10-2010, 18:36
Luckily I can get the train to work and use the missus car at the weekends so mines wrapped in a blanket on the drive for winter. I still try and use it every now and again to keep things ticking over, don't like it stood still for too long

FATBOY
14-10-2010, 21:02
cheers for the info steve. gonna get meself one when i get paid :D