PDA

View Full Version : Worrying rattling noise?

Dan_Oliver
07-10-2010, 19:35
Last night i was driving home and noticed quite a loud rattling noise, i am really concerned, it sounds like tappets or camshaft. It comes and goes randomly hot or cold. Just wanna know how expensive it will be to fix and is it okay to be driving around with it like this? Any suggestions please :)

cliokiz
08-10-2010, 10:21
Hard to advise really.

When does it 'rattle'? On idle? When you rev it? under load? Is it a knocking or a tinny rattle?

zmaster2k
08-10-2010, 13:36
7200rpm should solve it 8)

Wobba
08-10-2010, 14:07
Without further information it's impossible to diagnose.

Dan_Oliver
09-10-2010, 13:56
It doesn't happen very often but it happened again last night but was louder. When the rattle comes on it sounds all through the revs even at idle. I did give it a little blits which has stopped the noise and hasn't come on since. The noise was coming from the inlet (next to the airfilter and infront of the engine block). Think what ever it was has gone now though hopefully but not sure.

Dan_Oliver
10-10-2010, 11:57
I think one of my piston rings has gone, I changed the spark plugs today and the right hand one was covered in oil! and the others were okay. I reckon its burning oil as well as its used about 700-1litre in about 2-3 weeks. Does this sound like a broken piston ring anyone?

Wobba
11-10-2010, 13:26
Do a compression test.

May be oily from any oil that seeped down when you took plug out? Oil can collect in the plug well due to spillage from filling the engine, and/or a leaking camcover gasket.