PDA

View Full Version : Willy numbers on phase 2's

fab
04-10-2010, 21:53
Anyone know if they numbered the phase 2's on left hand drive models?

dkrevs
05-10-2010, 11:08
Nope, they didn't.

robi1000
05-10-2010, 14:02
Officially not. There are however few LHD cars that were numbered. I know of 3 such cars (one of them is mine) and apart from mine (which was inported from Switzerlans) all are in France.

robi1000
05-10-2010, 14:03
Grrrr, no edit button and crap laptop keyboard.

*Correction: Switzerland and imported. :D

fab
05-10-2010, 18:10
hi robi. thanks for the reply.
So officially as in who officially? Because if renault produced and numbered phase 2 cars then it was official! :lol: :wink:

dkrevs
05-10-2010, 18:15
Ooops, I thought you were asking about number 2 or 3 beside Williams stickers on the car. About plaqued Williams 2's, there are some but they're uber rare.

dkrevs
05-10-2010, 18:24
So officially as in who officially? Because if renault produced and numbered phase 2 cars then it was official! :lol: :wink:
One theory is that they had few spare unstamped plaques laying around, which were then stamped with radically high number and fitted in few Williams 2's.

robi1000
05-10-2010, 18:50
Maybe he was asking about stickers. In that case, the answer is no. LHD clios did not have numbers next to the williams sticker.

robi1000
05-10-2010, 19:05

Sorry I didin't see your reply.

They were numbered at the factory, but not because that would be standard procedure. Maybe some of the workers (or their family or friends...) bought this cars, or maybe they just found a bucket of empty ones and thought it would be a good idea to use them. Mine is number 6035 (Shell number is close to plaque number, but not the same - as with most officially numbered Williams 1). There's one in France with number 7000 and something and a few others with undisclosed numbers (all in France).

I tried to find a flaw to prove my plaque was fake (because numbered Williams 2 is something that should not exist). I have one folder full of pictures of original number plates, and I became quite an expert. I compared numbering tool marks, font size and location, pins that hold it in place, colour, chamfered edge... There's even a thread somewhere on this forum where I uploaded my plaque and asked people to prove to me it's fake. Unsuccesfuly. So either these few cars are either a veeeeeeeeeery good fakes, done by someone who clearly knew what numbers on VIN plate mean and had access to all the machinery to make plaques, print them and found exactly the right securing pins. He must of been very pedantic, because he replicated all the small variables that occur at original plates, such as numbers offset (one of the 3 possible locations - obviously they had 3 slightly different numbering tools) relative to letters on the plaques.

There's also a huge number of really bad fakes, or fakes that can be spotted by carefoul examination. Some are so bad it's downright ridiculous.

Also worth mentioning is that there was a special edition called Swiss Champion, that was ph2 Williams and was numbered. It had special stickers and steering wheel and a special (very different) plaque. As you could probably figure it out, they were made for Swiss market (like Clio Trophy).

I hope this helps.

Robi

robi1000
05-10-2010, 19:15
After rereading my previous post I found some grammar and vocabulary mistakes that cannot be mended because there's no edit button (I bet this comes 1st on the list of complaints). :lol:

Anyway, here's my old thread for you:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31946&highlight=number+plaque+fake

fab
05-10-2010, 21:01
Hi. I am sure now that they must have numbered some phase 2's.Your's is.

here's one on ebay.fr
http://annonces.ebay.fr/viewad/clio-williams-NUMEROTE/5012718251

also on clio-willimas.net they mention it on the 3rd last paragraph..
http://www.clio-williams.net/Parties/Presentation/Presentation_gen.php

thanks lads.

:D

Coops
05-10-2010, 21:13
that one on french ebay is a williams 1, phase 1 car just with the phase 2 grill on the front, everything else is phase 1 on the car

fab
05-10-2010, 21:25
its a hybrid coops :roll:
:lol:

fab
02-11-2010, 09:49
yeah more eveidence of willy 2 numbering..

http://como.bakeca.it/auto/vendesi-renault-clio-0i-k4se18944056

Justin..
02-11-2010, 13:23
Continental numbering differs from UK.

fab
02-11-2010, 13:28
Can we say for certain no right hand drive (UK spec) willy 2's had plaques? Was it just the euro's that got thick with reno when they released the 2nd phase and some customers insisted on a plaque?

Justin..
02-11-2010, 15:52
Any UK Williams 2 will not have a number. Same for the 3