PDA

View Full Version : My new Clio Williams

evostephen
01-10-2010, 19:14
Here's my new Williams 1. I'm staff writer at Evo Magazine, and it's a shared purchase of both me and mag designer Adam Shorrock. Number 421, 82K miles. Needs a wheel refurb (see below) and the paint ain't perfect, but it's a sweet thing. Should be a good replacement for my departed Clio 200 Cup...

It'll be appearing in the mag from Issue 150, on sale from next weekend.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff346/stevied87/_DSC2551-1.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff346/stevied87/_DSC2396-1.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff346/stevied87/_DSC2364-1.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff346/stevied87/_DSC2345-1.jpg

Wobba
01-10-2010, 19:30
Wonderful!

It was Performance Car magazine back in the 90's that moved me to buy many a car, but none more so than the cheeky giant slayer Clio Williams.

It will be awesome to add the Williams to your ever growing pack of older French hatches that seem to be part of the EVO long term test fleet lately ;) We will help you get it into shape for the potential oldschool French hatch battle :P

2 live
01-10-2010, 19:30
welcome to the site mate... looks a clean un.

altho the wheels look like they could do with a refurb ;)

willyturb0
01-10-2010, 20:39
Williams back in EVO, brilliant!!!

:D

talkingfish
01-10-2010, 22:37
Welcome to the site! The rumours were true that a Williams had been bought by a writer for a well know magazine!!

You'll find plenty of help and advice with anything you need on here - I am sure we all look forward to sharing your experiences with the car!! :D

MatBrown
01-10-2010, 23:13
Hi Steve,
Glad you got sorted.

Mat.

MatrixGuy
02-10-2010, 11:20
Very nice. 8) Do you know where those mats are from?

MatrixGuy
02-10-2010, 11:21
Forgot to say welcome to the site!! glad you could join us. :D

MatBrown
02-10-2010, 14:34
Very nice. 8) Do you know where those mats are from?

Original ones.

Mat.

MatBrown
02-10-2010, 14:36
Here's my new Williams 1. Needs a wheel refurb (see below)

Is it just the rims?
I can re-polish the rim for you if needed.

Mat.

Warby
03-10-2010, 08:24
good luck with it, will be interesting to follow its news in the magazine

Daz.
03-10-2010, 13:30
Wondered how long it would take to get a willy long termer in evo!

Good news... need a photoshoot with the 106 now :)

snowman
03-10-2010, 13:40
Welcome :D

The wheels look like they could do with Diamond cutting,may get away with having full refurb

Daz.
03-10-2010, 14:47
Personally I'd do a full refurb on them, the colours shit anyway and its better to do a decent job!

Jamie.
03-10-2010, 19:22
Welcome to the forum.

northy
03-10-2010, 22:23
8)

Glad you have managed to register pal. Car looks very nice, as people have said the wheels can be sorted quickly by just polishing the rims up.

Will look forward to your progress with the car - whats the aim with the saga section then? keep it standard or modify the engine / suspension ?

evostephen
04-10-2010, 11:03
Hoping to fully refurb the wheels - all four have heavy scuffs (via careless parking, by the looks of things) and want to make sure they're original colour too, with the silver rims.

Aiming to keep the car broadly standard. May touch the suspension or brakes at some point, but getting to know it in standard trim first.

A new set of tyres would be good, though. Any suggestions for the best option for wet and low grip, a nice set for over winter? Also, what oil do Willies like best?

northy
04-10-2010, 15:31
costco is your best bet for tyres - Michelin exalto 2's In either a 195 50 15 or 185 55 15 (if u want to stay standard)

MatBrown
04-10-2010, 17:34
As for oil, a good quality 10w40 is all you need.

Mat.

vkosho
06-10-2010, 05:01
Welcome mate.

Nice purchase. :D 8)

evostephen
08-10-2010, 16:38
Thanks again for the advice, chaps. Continental have kindly provided some tyres for me to review - ContiPremiumContact2s. Having run SportContact3s on my Clio 200 Cup long-termer and found them near faultless (especially in heavy rain and through winter nastiness), I've pretty high hopes! Will naturally report in the mag how they get on.

Matty86
08-10-2010, 17:30
looks like a very straight example!

get some trim restorer for the grill :oops:

katbloke
08-10-2010, 18:29
Looking forward to the mag, been a suscriber for a while since the swissvax offer

thaijedi
10-10-2010, 15:39
sweet, welcome along.

love the mag and will look 4wd to read how you get along, just read evo 149 cover to cover on the beach soaking up the sun.

katbloke
11-10-2010, 13:11
A nice little write up there, car does look nice.

Hope when its up for sale Evo takes visa cards :D

BaJ
12-10-2010, 10:32
Great to see a Willy on the Evo long-term fleet, it's about time!

I like the little thanks to Mat Brown at the bottom of the article, he's sure helped me out a number of times too :D

MatBrown
12-10-2010, 15:06
:matbrown:

Coops
12-10-2010, 18:12
rofl, pimp a williams to a mag.com :D

welcome and look after her, looks like a clean example and lovely low mileage 8)

Tommo
13-10-2010, 15:34
Welcome Stephen.

Good to see a Williams in EVO, been a reader for years. Wish my boss had a Zonda :wink:

evostephen
15-10-2010, 16:50
Yep, the Williams certainly sits in a pretty good car park some days. Don't see the Zonda all too often, though...

Glad you're enjoying the mag coverage. It should be a fairly regular fixture in the Fast Fleet section, and will hopefully get it along to some events and meets.

evostephen
10-11-2010, 13:41
Gratuitous plug to read about the car on evo.co.uk http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/259222/renault_clio_williams.html

Fear not, there's a plug back to this website too :)

Wobba
10-11-2010, 14:04
Get the front reg plate tidied up. Those old bumper screws go rotten pretty quick and are an eyesore.

You can pick up a new grille easily with the tabs that cover the screws, for about a tenner or so.

Skuttle panels are another area usually requiring TLC. Can use plastic dye or a major clean-up, followed by plastic primer and basic Halfords matt or satin black aerosol (about 3 coats). Preparation and patience are the key to getting it right ;)

Tommo
11-11-2010, 12:24
I agree, the first things I did with mine was a wheel refurb and new number plates from fancyplates.com, just them two things really help freshen the car up no end.

Wobba
08-01-2011, 14:11
Get the front reg plate tidied up. Those old bumper screws go rotten pretty quick and are an eyesore.

You can pick up a new grille easily with the tabs that cover the screws, for about a tenner or so.

Skuttle panels are another area usually requiring TLC. Can use plastic dye or a major clean-up, followed by plastic primer and basic Halfords matt or satin black aerosol (about 3 coats). Preparation and patience are the key to getting it right ;)

Reading the latest EVO, I am glad to see you took my advice with the registration plates.

Have you had the wheels refurbished yet? I cannot stress how much of a visual impact these make when done right and fitted to the car. They gloss over all the other imperfections very well ;) If you want it done right, with the silver lip diamond cut properly, get over to 'Pristine'.

Are you going to be doing any track days? I am sure you can get in on the action with this years RS official trackday sessions. Even if your car isn't ready, we can get you out and let you have a go in one of ours ;)

n9kie
10-01-2011, 22:58
nice looking car!! what are you plans for it?

Wobba
10-01-2011, 23:13

You have to read all about it's adventures in EVO magazine.

MatBrown
10-01-2011, 23:24
I gave him a list of things to do yesterday. :wink:

Mat.

n9kie
11-01-2011, 00:15

You have to read all about it's adventures in EVO magazine.

There's no boobs in Evo magazine, bring back Max Power

lol!!

evostephen
17-02-2011, 16:22
Realised I've not been on here for a wee while! Thanks all for reading, following and providing feedback. Hoping to get the wheels along to Pristine before April - planning to attend the Renaultsport Spa day! Since Christmas the car's been a little redundant - a run to work once a week, small blasts on weekends - to keep the mileage low. It's on a limited mileage policy and being in a national mag means it could prove difficult to sneak over that by a couple of thousand! Need to keep a few of the 8000 for Spa and, hopefully, a pilgrimage to Le Mans. Come and say hello if you're planning to do either...

Wobba
17-02-2011, 20:16
Realised I've not been on here for a wee while! Thanks all for reading, following and providing feedback. Hoping to get the wheels along to Pristine before April - planning to attend the Renaultsport Spa day! Since Christmas the car's been a little redundant - a run to work once a week, small blasts on weekends - to keep the mileage low. It's on a limited mileage policy and being in a national mag means it could prove difficult to sneak over that by a couple of thousand! Need to keep a few of the 8000 for Spa and, hopefully, a pilgrimage to Le Mans. Come and say hello if you're planning to do either...

You know, I'd love to go to Spa, and Le Mans, this year.

I think we should get you along to a Williams Clio track day event too and at least passenger in one of the Mk1 Cup Cars, and maybe give yourself over to the dark side by testing a modified Willy out to compare to your own...if you can handle it that is ;) See if you can convince Nick to consider a more detailed section one month to cover it in EVO. Funnily enough, Editor Nick sent me a couple of messages today offering to help me out with something. Nice chap!

Great to hear you are headed over to Pristine. Will transform the look of the car and is a worthwhile investment.

2 live
17-02-2011, 20:31

spa's a fantastic track in the williams. hitting eau rouge flat in 5th is a little scary tho....;)....so much so....i dropped it down to 4th more often than not lol

hull-rotterdam then down to spa, ....iirc i put less than 1k miles on the clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtEOb4fY2k

Wobba
17-02-2011, 20:40

spa's a fantastic track in the williams. hitting eau rouge flat in 5th is a little scary tho....;)....so much so....i dropped it down to 4th more often than not lol

Think I've watched that vid 50 times.

hull-rotterdam then down to spa, ....iirc i put less than 1k miles on the clock.

2 live
17-02-2011, 20:41
and as you can see in the vids.......r888s or suchlike would have been a big advantage lol. and i didnt quite get to grips with the right-left after pouhon ....back end came a little bit light round there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Physcotropic#p/u/9/M8otsl9pt4I

2 live
17-02-2011, 20:46
and the very 1st few laps...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Physcotropic#p/u/17/nOjODQsnpcw

awesome track. would love to go back

2 live
17-02-2011, 20:50

Think I've watched that vid 50 times.

thanks for watching ;)

hope u enjoyed the vid as much as i did the drive.