PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Refurb

cliopete
27-09-2010, 21:29
Surprising what can be achieved with a couple of days work and £60 worth of rattle cans from local auto paints suppliers.

2 live
27-09-2010, 22:32
looking good mate....look like new ;)

Danno
27-09-2010, 22:38
looking good mate....look like new ;)

agreed 8)

glyn211269
27-09-2010, 22:44
You got that finish with normal rattle cans?! :-O Looks excellent.

Can you give a quick run down of what you did start to finish??

cliopete
27-09-2010, 23:09
You got that finish with normal rattle cans?! :-O Looks excellent.

Can you give a quick run down of what you did start to finish??

Basically followed the guide on this site, only available to paid members,
but used only aerosols from local auto paint suppliers.
I was amazed myself at the finish achieved with the professional quality rattle cans and the colour match of the gold which is listed as Williams gold on the Renault colour selector.

MatrixGuy
28-09-2010, 07:57
Wow, where did you get the aerosols from mate?

matt.turner
28-09-2010, 13:57
whats the paint code mate? and how much does the paint cost?

cliopete
28-09-2010, 14:25
I got the paint from Autopaint Discount in Burnley. They mix it on the spot and it's a water based paint from " Pro XL" It costs £9.50 + Vat for a 400ml aerosol, enough for one wheel.
The colour was selected from the standard range for Renault colours, I think it is known as Williams Gold Basecoat. It seems to be quite a good match.
The clearcoat high gloss laquer is also from the same range.
Pete

MatrixGuy
28-09-2010, 18:45
I got the paint from Autopaint Discount in Burnley. They mix it on the spot and it's a water based paint from " Pro XL" It costs £9.50 + Vat for a 400ml aerosol, enough for one wheel.
The colour was selected from the standard range for Renault colours, I think it is known as Williams Gold Basecoat. It seems to be quite a good match.
Pete

I can't find a website for them so i presume they dont have one. Do they deliver do you know?

snowman
28-09-2010, 18:50
They look ace mate well done,the Gold looks a very good match

cliopete
28-09-2010, 22:54
Pete

I can't find a website for them so i presume they dont have one. Do they deliver do you know?

It's just a small local business, only a one man band I think, their phone no. is 01282 411765.
I could probably arrange to get some and post it to you, where are you based.

Pete

Dunc
29-09-2010, 10:24
they look awesome mate!

I really want to refurb my wheels, they were only done a few years ago (looking through the history recipts), but they were powder coated and its started to flake! Theyre not curbed tho, so im guessing a refurb shouldnt be too hard!

Great finish on the rattle cans! brilliant!

Dunc

Markic
29-09-2010, 10:40
Great job you've done there mate! :)
The finish is really mint! :shock:

matt.turner
29-09-2010, 10:51
ive had a few quotes to get my wheels refurbed but when i say i want a polished lip they always say oooh i wudnt do that cos theyl go rusty or summat like that. if so what do you have to do to keep the lip looking good and protected? cheers matty

Markic
29-09-2010, 11:38
ive had a few quotes to get my wheels refurbed but when i say i want a polished lip they always say oooh i wudnt do that cos theyl go rusty or summat like that. if so what do you have to do to keep the lip looking good and protected? cheers matty

you polish the lip mate, and respray it with clear paint(don't know how to spell it in english).

1995clio16v
29-09-2010, 15:57
Great job, although you should have got the tyres put on first and the bead pushed back IMO.

Id get that lip polished because as soon as you take them somewhere to get the tyres fitted, to someone who doesnt care less, then hours of labour will become ruined!

If you autosol them once a week then they wont pit (polished rim). They wont go rusty, they will just pit and look scabby. I had polished lip on my 19 wheels, kept on top of them with autosol, they were fine.

Great job though.

cliopete
29-09-2010, 16:54
The polished lip is easy to achieve with the wheel fitted to the car, minus tyre of course, jacked up and with car in gear and engine running on tick over. Just carefully apply emery cloth and hold against rim until required finish is obtained.
The polishing can be done after the final coat of gold is dry and the whole wheel including polished lip is then sprayed with clear lacquer.
The tyres were refitted by a tyre fitter who appreciated the work done to refurb the wheels he even fitted new rubbers to the fitting machine before he started, top man. Not a mark or scratch anywhere :D :D

Pete

MatrixGuy
29-09-2010, 17:26
Sounds like a refurb might be out of my league, lol.

How long did it take you mate? problem i have is that the willy is my everday car.

How much lacquer did you get?

p.s. i am based in Lancaster :)

MatBrown
29-09-2010, 18:49
Hope you used an Etch lacquer?

Mat.

1995clio16v
30-09-2010, 13:10

Mat.

On the lip?

1995clio16v
30-09-2010, 13:11
Not a mark or scratch anywhere :D :D

Pete

Yeah, to be fair, 15's can usually be applied by hand on a tyre machine.

I exagerrated a little! :o

Its when you start getting to 17's it gets hard work on the rim.

MatBrown
30-09-2010, 17:57

Mat.

On the lip?

Yes mainly, but it's good stuff to do the whole wheel.

Mat.

MatBrown
30-09-2010, 17:58
Not a mark or scratch anywhere :D :D

Pete

Yeah, to be fair, 15's can usually be applied by hand on a tyre machine.

I exagerrated a little! :o

Its when you start getting to 17's it gets hard work on the rim.

It's not the size of the rim, its the profile of the tyre.

Mat.

walters300
30-09-2010, 21:25
legendary stuff there mate, you should offer a service, keep your price reasonable and you will clean up, how much dude ?

MatrixGuy
30-09-2010, 22:31
legendary stuff there mate, you should offer a service, keep your price reasonable and you will clean up, how much dude ?

that's a good idea 8)

cliopete
01-10-2010, 22:49

It's not that straightforward unfortunately.
It probably cost me around £50 per wheel not including my time, this is for bead blasting, powder coat primer and all the rattle cans, emery cloth etc.
I only did it myself for the satisfaction of achieving a reasonable job and saving a few pennies.

Pete

walters300
02-10-2010, 14:26
:( ah well back to the drawing board! might have a go myself sometime. if you could bulk buy stuff and end up being able to knock them out for 200 a set refurbed i would send you mine straight away! :wink: