PDA

View Full Version : A few blips

Jaymzfc
27-09-2010, 11:46
Hi All,
Having a few issues with the 218 of late and i need you lot as usual.

Got a strange knocking noise comming from the rear r/h, It can be heard mainly on a slightly bumpy road, its not loud but does sound like something loose, i don't think its the main bush of the arm as that would make a loud noise could be the shocks? are there any other bushes in that area? the ride hight is the same just for info.

It rained for this first time in months today and when i stopped abrubtly i heard a swishing noise like water trapped somewhere, sounded like from the sills, how did it get it there and how do i get rid of it.

When driving in a high gear every now and again but not always the battery lights flickers but nothing happens as such to the car, i can do weeks and nothing and then it will return, i checked the terminals they looked fine.

Apart from the ticking of one of the lifters the engine's fine, when i come to replace that lifter what else would i need to change?

tks all

Jaymz

northy
27-09-2010, 12:12
Water in the sills will be down to the following

rear window seals gone
rear rub strips leaking
rear arch pulled away from inner arch (most common)

Take the rear door card off and see if u can see where it has been coming in.

Temp fix is to unblock what is left of any drain holes in the sills.

Jaymzfc
27-09-2010, 12:45
Temp fix is to unblock what is left of any drain holes in the sills

The sill i was reffering to is the one under the front doors, i should have said running boards, i dont think there are any plugs to unblock, the arches look fine nothing comming apart, and the window seals also look fine.

car is dry now and there's still a lot of water in it as i just checked, could get the drill out i guess :(

thanks anyhow Northy

2 live
27-09-2010, 13:43
n/s sill can also be filled with the union for the rear washer leaking at roughly the rear of the door aperture.

Wobba
27-09-2010, 14:31
There are usually three gaps in the sill lip, front, middle and rear. They are simply gaps which get blocked up easily. Often people mask over them accidentally with underseal so they can be hard to locate. A think screwdriver can unblock them, though sometimes you may need to really open it up like I had too. Mine constantly get blocked up on the passenger side.

As for the knocking, could be loose strut bolts for rear dampers, loose rear beam bolts (the tops of these are under the rear seat inside the car), loose wheel...not sure but possibly knackered rear wheel bearing?

Could change cam belt if doing tappets if you want I guess...

Jaymzfc
27-09-2010, 14:31
Roughly at the rear of the door apeture ???? where exactly is this union ?? im totally confused sorry guys.

It's monday pls excuse the lack of brain cells

Jaymzfc
27-09-2010, 14:45
Tks guys i knew i could rely on you lot.much appreciated
Ill do some fiddling this w/end.

Wobba
27-09-2010, 15:53
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0115.jpg

Me draining mine a year or two ago, done it again since. I stuck a torx key into the sill slot and wiggled it about to get the liquids flowing :p

Jaymzfc
27-09-2010, 18:52
Sill is sorted i only found the lip in the middle section but it poored out once i opened it up.
The rear noise is the r/h shock i jacked it up and lifted the wheel up and down the noise and ease was evident its the shock.

tks again