PDA

View Full Version : FAO engine builders & megane conversion ppl

Brealbags
21-09-2010, 23:35
Couple of issues currently filling the void in my head which would usually be filled with thinking about girls or food.

1. Am I been cheap and stupid if I use standard pulleys with my piper 270's ?

2. The oil level sensor for the megane is different to the 7P. The megane is a 2 pin plug and the Clio is a 3 pin plug. I need the 3 pin to match my wiring loom but they are different lengths so wouldn't I get an incorrect reading ?

Also can I use the F7P dipstick in the meggy engine ?

3. Do I have to use the rubber strip seals to seal the no 1 bearing cap or is all sealer ok ? And can anybody tell me the correct way of installing the rear crank seal on these engines. E.g with oil or dry, put the seal in after or before the bearing cap ?

cliokiz
22-09-2010, 12:15
Couple of issues currently filling the void in my head which would usually be filled with thinking about girls or food.

1. Am I been cheap and stupid if I use standard pulleys with my piper 270's ?

No, i've used standard pullies on them before and had good gains, you just won't get the best out of them.

2. The oil level sensor for the megane is different to the 7P. The megane is a 2 pin plug and the Clio is a 3 pin plug. I need the 3 pin to match my wiring loom but they are different lengths so wouldn't I get an incorrect reading ?

The clio sensor with the 3 pin plug gives both oil level and oil temperature readings. Sounds like the megane sensor just gives you oil level.

Also can I use the F7P dipstick in the meggy engine ?

You need to use a dipstick which matches the sump. No idea if the megane and F7P sumps are the same, but they differ between the phases anyway so probably not.

3. Do I have to use the rubber strip seals to seal the no 1 bearing cap or is all sealer ok ? And can anybody tell me the correct way of installing the rear crank seal on these engines. E.g with oil or dry, put the seal in after or before the bearing cap ?

Can't help you there..

Brealbags
22-09-2010, 19:27
Thanks kiz. Iv been searching the rear crank seal and read Haynes and everything seems to contradict everything!

I can use the Clio oil level sensor but I guess I'm going to buy a megane dipstick, but use it in the Clio tube.

Laine_16v
22-09-2010, 19:30
If you have the correct sized seals for the rear crank, it'd be good to use them.

However they are sealed with sealant from the factory so if its good enough for a factory build...

If using sealant use a high quality RTV.

sideways danny
22-09-2010, 20:28
I've always use all sealant instead of strip seals as they very often just push out when you fit the bearing cap anyway.

Bigger issue is getting the bottom corners of the cap sealed. Run a generous bead of RTV into the corner of the block before fitting the bearing cap or it WILL leak

Brealbags
24-09-2010, 11:08
I'm pretty sure I put enough sealer on. It was a few weeks ago now. I know how much of a bitch they are iv been through it before

Should I have put the crank seal into the housing and fitted it at the same time as the cap or is it ok to fit the crankseal after ?

sideways danny
24-09-2010, 20:05
fine to fit it after. That's what i normally do

Brealbags
24-09-2010, 23:47
Cool. Wish I had a special tool to put it in like on vag stuff