PDA

View Full Version : Welding steering column

whitneyd
20-09-2010, 21:59
Why are people welding they're steering column? What is the tell tail sign that mine needs to be done? Cheers.

MatBrown
20-09-2010, 22:09
There is a rubber bush on the UJ at the bottom, these perish with age and you get play, a loose feeling, telltale sign is the wheels don't move when you wiggle the steering wheel.

Mat.

fab
20-09-2010, 22:18
many different signs will tell you if it needs welding. best way, i think, is for you to look into the drivers footwell you will see a black rubber piece. peel it back and it will reveal a steering linkage. turn your steering wheel slowly left and right and if the bar which heads into the engine bay does not move with the steering movement you should consider welding the column.

the way i knew something was not right was in high speed corners..say on the autostrada, (bologna/firenze :P ) where you would be doing say 150/160KM +, and you would need to correct your line mid-bend and you find yourself twitching the steering wheel left/right just to keep the car in position. very very scary!

after the weld it's a completely different car. :D

whitneyd
21-09-2010, 08:52
Dude that rocks. My Express has been doing this lately and I thought I had checked everything. I guess it's time to break out the welder. Sweet :D

northy
21-09-2010, 21:22
i have a welded column for sale if you need one done

whitneyd
21-09-2010, 21:46
I live in Italy so shipping would suck. I'm welding mine tomorrow, but thank you for the offer

fab
21-09-2010, 22:52
If your taking the rack out you should be ok, but if your welding it in the car be careful as the rubber inside the linkage will melt all over your carpet once the heat gets to it.