PDA

View Full Version : Worrying tappet noise after doing cam belts.

fab
13-09-2010, 18:09
Hi.
been doing a lot of maintenance recently and today was d-day in terms of starting the car after a timing belt change and full engine oil flush.

Just to be clear what i did. I marked the top 2 pulleys with tip-ex and they did not move when putting the belt back on.
I did lose TDC on the lower pulley but found it again and it was in position when tightening the belt.

so the symptoms are tappety engine when I fired it up.
it's full of oil.
there was a tappety noise before I started the work which surfaced when i drove the car back from abroad.
It just seems louder now.

anything easy to do/check to see if timing is in order and i havent bent a valce?

fab
13-09-2010, 18:19
just to add to this, i did crank it over by hand a few times and did not hear any funny tapping noise as if it was out of time and double checked that all 3 pulleys where in the same position as I marked them before starting the car.

schakal
13-09-2010, 20:04
mine always gets tappety after an oil change , it should clear
up in time imo .

fab
13-09-2010, 22:13
yep just checked the timing again and it's spot on. pulley marks line up and so do the tip-ex marks I made with TDC.
Tappets it is so. I suppose an additive would certainly tell me but either way they need cleaning/replacement.

schakal
13-09-2010, 22:18
yep just checked the timing again and it's spot on. pulley marks line up and so do the tip-ex marks I made with TDC.
Tappets it is so. I suppose an additive would certainly tell me but either way they need cleaning/replacement.

i would not use any additives mate . heard people having problems etc.

fab
13-09-2010, 22:40
yep they only work (if at all) very temporary. never really fix's the issue does it?ah well another challenge for me :wink:

fab
14-09-2010, 10:02
feckin hell. is it possible a whole bank of tappets have no spring in them?
took them out on the exhaust side and only 1 of the tappets has a spring in it! no wonder it sounded like a diesel :lol:

sideways danny
14-09-2010, 12:55
feckin hell. is it possible a whole bank of tappets have no spring in them?
took them out on the exhaust side and only 1 of the tappets has a spring in it! no wonder it sounded like a diesel :lol:

do you mean you opened them? or that only one of them was moving?

Yanoo_
14-09-2010, 13:00
i would not use any additives mate . heard people having problems etc.

I totally agree. Never use any additives!

What type of oil do U use? Viscosity grade?

fab
14-09-2010, 14:46
sideways danny, only one of them had a spring in it,meaning the little pivot or whatever its called would bounce up and down on its spring. just a mm or so but it worked.
the rest of them there was no play in them at all.

it only started when i drove it back from Italy last month. that feckin oil-gauge is a lying sack of sh**! :x

it appeared full when i left rome but 1200 miles of hammering it through Italian,French and British motorways (always between 4K RPM and 5K RPM in fifth gear for periods of 1 or 2 hours without stopping).
I forgot to check the oil levels.hence it was fairly low when I reached dublin. ever since then the tappety noise was really present.
the lack of oil must of just seized them up.

Rang reno and they quoted me £45 each! flippin extortionate them reno prices sometimes, and I wouldnt mind but the tappets inside mine appear to be made by INA who are a british company.
so found a set on ebay. wonder if they are INA aswell?

Yanoo_ I had renault elf evolution in it, cant remember the grade of it and a spurious oil filter.

Now its got a genuine oil filter and some 10/40W semi-synth.

sideways danny
14-09-2010, 17:22
that sounds like you have imminent bottom end issues tbh :( That's a lot of driving to do with no oil/oil pressure

fab
14-09-2010, 20:31
oil there was and the pressure also. it's just that it was registering below half way on the clock when i reached holyhead.
just drained it last week whilst doing other items and I drained at least 3 litres from it.

When i opened the cam cover today it appeared there was no oil reaching the outlet area of the tappets. the inlet side where full of oil. ( this is after a full engine flush) but to be fair I only had the car running for about 5 minutes since cambelt,water pump,clutch, and belts were done.

the tappets are all seized up. they are going to tap like fred astaire! :wink:

fab
20-09-2010, 13:54
Tappets/lifters have arrived from trechii. he deserve's his 100% feedback :wink:

Firstly, they are not INA brand as they have an E mark on them.

Secondly, there is a message on the package which says that by pressing them with your finger is not a way to determine if they are working or not. they need to prime. Obviously we can let them self prime in the engine or bath in oil for a few hours. Me I'm bathing them in oil just to be sure that they prime well before putting them back into the willy as I'm not sure if the oil pump is strong enough (on idle) to send oil up that far. Needs a good thrashing first to make sure the oil pressure raises up.
Note to others: after an oil change you should perhaps take the car for a good drive to ensure your lifters get the necessary oil to them especially if you have cranked the engine without starting) then this has been mentioned many times through-out the forum. :wink:

Thirdly, I have realised why after doing the belts I found the engine more tappety than before I did them. after fitting the belts, i turned the crank a few times to check for knocks etc and this would have prevented fresh oil reaching the lifters as obviously the oil pump would not have been engaged with the engine off.
I still do claim by letting your oil level run below half way (as per internal clock) is a sure way to set off lifter tapping. But all will be revealed after their fitted.

So I will report back and let you know how they are after fitting.
Have a nice day,
Fab.

Wobba
20-09-2010, 15:02
I used a pan of new oil and primed mine manually, hard on the fingers though!

With the little hole at the top, I simply pressed the tappets together repeatedly for ages to get air out.

fab
20-09-2010, 17:44
aye wobba, have blisters on me hands already after 2 hours of pressing them :wink:
quick question wobba, when you fitted them back in, did you line up the little hole on the lifter with the hole on the head where the oil for them comes in? or does it matter?
really want to get mine primed before firing up that way i should know straight away if everything is good.

Wobba
21-09-2010, 09:39
aye wobba, have blisters on me hands already after 2 hours of pressing them :wink:
quick question wobba, when you fitted them back in, did you line up the little hole on the lifter with the hole on the head where the oil for them comes in? or does it matter?
really want to get mine primed before firing up that way i should know straight away if everything is good.

I put the hole at the nearest oil channel, but it does not matter really as they will spin about when engine is running.

When I did mine I noticed a massive improvement. Ironically after my headwork and ITB's were fitted the 'new' ones are really noisy, but redoing them again is a pain as I have aftermarket timed cams now, though may do it anyway one day.

fab
27-09-2010, 19:07
Just want to close this one off lads. They are so so sweet! And i have to say the car feels very much more responsive.

Only for Wobba's experience and posts I would not have taken this job on.
See here for some pics and advice.
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40382&highlight=lifters&sid=8fce27852cd3a9665afec56e5850fd8b

Thanks Wobba. You are a big credit!