PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler

cliobilly
09-09-2010, 21:12
Well i figured the wug had an oil cooler as standard which it has but not a mocal type one it looks like its cooled by the coolant flowing into the oil filter housing? :?

my question is how do i fit a mocal type cooler and whats the best size for track use as my oil was getting mighty hot on track?

will i need a sandwhich plate ?

i have a big empty space where the battery was which is perfect to mount a cooler.

sorry for the silly questions i had one on my gtir but it didnt have a water pipe already connected to the filter housing.

Brealbags
09-09-2010, 21:54
The little one behind the oil filter is just an oil / coolant heat exchanger.

I wouldn't have thought it would be efficient to put one where the battery is because mocal oil coolers tend to be air cooled and there's no cold air feed to there. Would just heat soak from the engine IMO

16v_paddy
09-09-2010, 22:07
Mocal coolers need to be mounted where air from outside can flow over them, mine is mounted in front of the radiator, you'll need a thermostatic sandwich plate ideally.

If you can't be bothered binning the std cooler & changing the coolant pipes to suit, you can just whack the sandwich plate onto the std cooler & that's it :wink:

cliobilly
09-09-2010, 22:19
want the filter mounting there and cooler out front someplace.

thanks for help

LEIGH-ANNE
09-09-2010, 22:21
I can supply these

:D

sideways danny
10-09-2010, 02:40
the standard heat exchanger is there to help equalise the warming rate of the oil and water from cold more than anything. This gets the oil up to safe working temperature quicker. No good reason to remove it really, adding a mocal 10row or 13row is great for track though

cliobilly
10-09-2010, 08:17
Leigh..im affraid im a pikey so have a cooler coming from scrap yard off a random vehicle. can you get the remote fit and thermostat sandwhich plates for them cause i may need those?

Justin..
10-09-2010, 08:19
Remote oil filter wouldn't be s bad idea if that's what you mean by putting it where the battery is. Would increase the oil capacity slightly too which is never bad tbh I would have thought