PDA

View Full Version : separating gearbox from engine question

fab
04-09-2010, 15:27
hi lads. the willie is back this side of the continent as i have a garage to play in now:-)
anyways decided to do some serious maintenance such as timing belts,water pump, and the power steering pump.
so woke up this morning and decided what the feck might aswell do the clutch while i am at it!;-) this is where I am stuck.
BTW I am doing all this with engine in car. i have also dropped the subframe a little on the N/S to help with some space.

I have removed what appears to be every bolt attaching gearbox to engine and wiring looms are out of the way. O/S drive shaft is disconnected also aswell as gear selector. BUT the gearbox will not come away from the engine. there is a little gap appearing when you look head-on but it seems something from around the area where the dog-bone bracket is holding it in place. Dont think the dog-bone mount bracket needs to come away from gearbox does it?

katbloke
04-09-2010, 15:35
youll have to take both driveshafts out, unless ive misread your post

16v_paddy
04-09-2010, 15:36
The dogbone bracket stays on the box, doesn't need to come off, just sounds like it needs some serious persuasion to come off

zmaster2k
04-09-2010, 15:36
removed the battery tray?

fab
04-09-2010, 15:42
katbloke you are right the N/S shaft is still on but it's off the strut so should really not be interfering with the seperation? but i will go down now to and remove said drivshaft. means i need to drain gearbox oil :(
zmaster2k yep battery tray is out of the way.
you could be right 16v_paddy.
will revert back in a couple of hours. thanks for the massively FAST replies 8) nice to know I'm no alone :D

katbloke
04-09-2010, 15:50
could be stuck on splies from input shaft, guess depends when was out last

zmaster2k
04-09-2010, 15:59
get a bar in there mate bit o persuasion never hurt!

fab
04-09-2010, 17:51
there was a nut (besides myself) just under the starter motor that I forgot to undo.separation completed.

now,seeing as i was curious to see the state of the clutch plate I had to spin it around to undo the bolts and in the process have lost the TDC on the cam wheel/pulley.
i had it locked off but decided to use tip-ex instead so it is marked that way. only thing is when I move the fly-wheel around to line-up the tip-ex marks it does not seem to want to put the allen key fully in the little hole beside the engine number.have I lost TDC completely or will i be able to find it again?
sorry if the questions sound silly but i am pretty exhausted after 2 days of stripping all these parts out.
Do I just line up the tip-ex again and go for it or do i keep spinning until I find TDC again? parts not arriving till next week so i have a few days off to rest.
thanks a mil!

Some photos:

is this the clutch release bearing that needs replacing also?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Clutchwork-5.jpg

here's the mess! now all i have to do is figure out where all the bolts go back in;-)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Clutchwork-9.jpg

fab
04-09-2010, 18:08
almost forgot..wouldnt be the same without some music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0s8u14Oj3k

16v_paddy
04-09-2010, 18:21
Don't worry about the TDC, can find it again quite easily with the box back on, if you look on the top of the box you'll see a hole cut out of it and a load of markings with a 1 & a zero.

With the box back on, look in that window & line up the mark on the flywheel up with the zero mark on the box & that's TDC :wink:

fab
04-09-2010, 21:24
cheers maestro!
on the clutch side of things i saw your post from last year about the fun you had with GSF/VALEO/VOLVO parts.
so does the bearing above in the foto come with the kit from GSF or do i have to go main dealer? do you have the part number handy for the GSF kit?
as i am a complete noob I was inspecting the plate and now when the new one comes I have no idea which side the clutch plate should be facing. part number facing into the gearbox or vice versa? is it obvious when I get the new one?
thanks a lot.

Laine_16v
04-09-2010, 23:36
To find TDC, whip spakr plug out number 1 or 4. put a long thin screwdriver or skewer down into the cylinder until it touched the top of the piston, rotate the engine over until the tool you are using reaches the very top of its travel. TDC achieved.

16v_paddy
05-09-2010, 01:32
The trouble I had was that the wrong clutch had been put into the box :rant: but the release bearing will come with the kit so don't worry :wink:

Coops
05-09-2010, 10:26
clutch friction plate will only fit one way under the cover plate fella,side with the smaller spring plate part faces into gearbox,away from flywheel!

zmaster2k
05-09-2010, 12:29
bit lost why do you guys need to know TDC when changing clutch?

never bothered me :?

fab
05-09-2010, 15:58
thanks coops 8)
zmaster2k, i have the belts off and decided to do clutch whilst waiting on parts from gsf. marked all fly-wheels but when removing clutch plate i spun the fly-wheel hence the bottom pulley went off its mark.silly of me but iv'e found it again.

zmaster2k
06-09-2010, 07:13
riiight missed that sorry!

fab
09-09-2010, 13:30
Hi. just doing the timing belt and am stuck again :(

You know the way you have to take that plastic surround off when doing the bearing but the fly-wheel pulley and the toothed one to the left of it is in the way?
Well question is how do you get the toothed pulley out? needs to be locked in position right to get the bolt off? any tips? cause there does not seem anything nearby it to lock it into position.
I take it the fly-wheel pulley can be got at with a torque gun?

fab
10-09-2010, 19:21
well my dewalt which has taken off pretty much everybolt on this car has been unable to take that crank pulley off.
got the belts done but will leave that stupid bearing as I risk damaging other parts just to replace a working part. If it fails i will get it done by a garage.

all in all a beatch of a job but having lots of fun! if i'm not back on the forum means i'm back up and running :wink:

see you later.