PDA

View Full Version : A quick gearbox question...

Smokey McPot
24-08-2010, 18:18
Being that mine has seen better days, it is now moving swiftly up my list of things to do.

Given that renault would want my old one, in return for a refurb and some extortionate monies I have been thinking of alternatives.

What sort of hardships would I have to endure to get the internals of my box remade in unobtainium or something stronger than the butter that renault use. I'm thinking same ratios etc, just better made. Is this sort of thing even available on a small scale?

zmaster2k
24-08-2010, 18:35
[quote="Smokey McPot"]
get the internals of my box remade in unobtainium /quote

LOLOOL

16v_paddy
24-08-2010, 19:46
Problem with doing that is that you'll still be putting the stronger bits into a casing that is still made from butter

talkingfish
24-08-2010, 20:14
Refurb from CTS - your looking at around £350-£400 - they will replace all the bearings and other "weak" items with nice shiny new parts and give the box a good check over...

Smokey McPot
24-08-2010, 20:16
[quote=Smokey McPot]

LOLOOL

I am aware that this in fact a non existant material. Much in the same vain as adamantium. Just to clarify ;)

Smokey McPot
24-08-2010, 20:17
Problem with doing that is that you'll still be putting the stronger bits into a casing that is still made from butter

Hmmm good point.

16v_paddy
24-08-2010, 20:45
Refurb from CTS - your looking at around £350-£400 - they will replace all the bearings and other "weak" items with nice shiny new parts and give the box a good check over...

Aren't these the people who cliolord is taking legal action against because the box they done for him blew into a million pieces & they turned round & basically told him to do one :?:

MatBrown
24-08-2010, 20:45
[quote=Smokey McPot]

LOLOOL

I am aware that this in fact a non existant material. Much in the same vain as adamantium. Just to clarify ;)

Unobtainium is a registered trademark of Oakley.
It's also rubber, so not much good for gearboxes.

Unobtainium is a hydrophillic rubber compound that has increased grip when wet with perspiration. The compound was first used for a motorcycle handgrip and has also been used in the nose-pieces and ear-stems of their sunglasses since 1987 and in their watches since 2002.

Mat.

Justin..
24-08-2010, 21:27
no ****ing way!!! :lol:

Smokey McPot
24-08-2010, 22:28
[quote=Smokey McPot]

LOLOOL

Unobtainium is a registered trademark of Oakley.
It's also rubber, so not much good for gearboxes.

Unobtainium is a hydrophillic rubber compound that has increased grip when wet with perspiration. The compound was first used for a motorcycle handgrip and has also been used in the nose-pieces and ear-stems of their sunglasses since 1987 and in their watches since 2002.

Mat.

James Cameron should expect an invoice then :D