PDA

View Full Version : new clutch...is it ok/

diathermy
20-08-2010, 15:49
Hi Guys,

My clutch cable snapped last monday and I read a few threds on here that ultimately may be the clutch on its way out. I was thinking of getting changed anyway as it was hard and felt as if it was going to go. Plus the fact the car has done 105k but had no history.

Anyway, took it to a fairly decent garage. They put a sachs clutch in and a renault cable (i insisted from reading on here) and also changed the track rods as I could not get them off myself!

Charged 400 for the lot....i think thats ok???

Anyway, the clutch is soft, the biting point is really low and the clutch has to be depressed fully in order to change gear and avoid crunching.

Is this normal and will it self adjust?

Or should I have got the rachet mechanism changed too or adjusted?

Cheers guys

Jaymzfc
20-08-2010, 19:20
Hi, my cable and pedal broke last month and ended up replacing the lot inc a new clutch, i feel the clutch pretty much the same as you are as well its soft and then hard to press and then i have to depress slowly or i get a thud noise from the engine, i thinks its just till its settles in but i do preffer it as it was before it broke to be honest.
It cost me 200 euros labour that about 240 sterling i think. Oh and a never ever come back with a clutch pedal issue again or ill kill you and your dog from the mechanic.

schakal
20-08-2010, 19:53
have they changed the clutch fork pivot bush while g/b was out ?
if its worn badly you will get above crunching problems .
have they filled the gearbox with new oil and up to the right level ?

sachs clutch cover plates are usually nice and soft no problem there .

also pressing the pedal all the way to the floor is the way to change gears
in every car . i cant see much of a problem there either tbqfhwu.

davidbuttigieg
20-08-2010, 19:55
Oh and a never ever come back with a clutch pedal issue again or ill kill you and your dog from the mechanic.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm immagining your mecahnic saying that the 'Maltese' way...

diathermy
20-08-2010, 23:54
did not change the fork. probably should have but I did not instruct him to.

as for pushing the pedal all the way down......i mean really force it down!

anyway, i am sure it will get better with time.

Tommo
21-08-2010, 00:14
Mate, mine has a very low biting point and has done since purchasing the car 6 years ago and never had a problem, don't worry about it