PDA

View Full Version : Williams 1...crunches in to 3rd gear

paulous2k
01-08-2005, 13:26
Apologies if this has been posted before, no doubt it is a common problem!...

I recently purchased a williams (no 161), it's done 100K miles but is generally in very good condition. One fault tho... it crunches in to 3rd gear, especially when changing down. No matter how gentle I am. Changing up its not so bad, but does crunch if I'm thrashing it.

I owned another williams 8 years ago, it had 50K on the clock and it had the exact same fault, I replaced the clutch and it made no difference, I sold the car not long after that.

What is the most likely cause?? It's only 3rd gear.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David
01-08-2005, 13:30
sounds like the sinkromesh (however it is spelt lol)

Mate has a GT C2 with same problem at the mo lifted clutch up before fully in gear slector or mesh ****ed!!!

fab
01-08-2005, 13:33
mine has the same dodgy third gear buts its only when going from second to third.its like the selector will not slide into the neutral position before going into third.feels notchy.
i have read somewhere on the forum and i believe it was KingStromba that said it.He changed the gearbox oil and it worked.
Let me know how you get on as i have not yet got around to changing my gearbox oil yet.
Also what i did notice is that the more they are driven the smoother the gearchange became.mine was lying up for about a year before i bought it.
Although your problem sounds different and I would agree with what the other two members have said.if its crunching then its syncro.

J o n
01-08-2005, 13:33
synchro's or you have stripped the teeth off the cog partially... lol. I did this to 2nd gear on my last gearbox...

paulous2k
02-08-2005, 10:35
Thanks....

Assuming its the synchromesh, whats involved with fixing it? Am I right to presume it's gearbox out job, replace some parts and thats it? Anyone had this done??? Just wondering how much labour is involved and how much it's likely to cost?

clowo16v
02-08-2005, 10:59
It's easier just to get another gearbox and swap it in. Get another gearbox in now, then you can rag it about all you want and one this gearbox breaks you wont have to wait to find another.

See ya

Matt

fab
02-08-2005, 20:04
I had a gearbox crowd take a look at my prob.luckily it seems to have sorted itself out.
they were suggesting smthin in the region of €800(£500)to take the gearbox out and take a look.nevermind the parts that may be required.
Best thing to do is weigh up all the pros and cons with yer car and then decide if its worth throwing money at.If its not then you know what to do.

VIPERONE
02-08-2005, 20:49
before replacing gearbox, invest in a bush kit for £13.. ot may well solve it// it did for my mate