PDA

View Full Version : leaking sunroof

gozziee
01-08-2005, 10:59
hi the tip of the month is about sunroofs but i can't find out where the section on how to fix it yourself is... can anyone help as mine leaks like a siv :?: :cry:

northy
01-08-2005, 11:05
yes.

lol - never finished that article off...will get on with it asap.

Its a fekker of a job and one i wouldnt like to do again.

It leaks from the under the plastic frame and then into the car, water collects in the sunroof frame (inside the car) and then eventually dripples out of the two front corners (were your sunvisors are) and swishes about untill it leaks out of the centre console.

but u need to remove the headlining, and all trim holding it inplace (its a good days work to remove a headlining) then strip and unbolt the sunroof motors, remove the lower frame, and then the upper, clean and seal (renault never sealed them well enough as u have discovered) with a good flexible silicone window sealer.

Refit and enjoy.

gozziee
01-08-2005, 11:09
bloody hell maybe i will let it leak :shock:

Slithers
01-08-2005, 11:21
Or just sling some silicone sealant round the edges, worked fine for me that.

Swervin_Mervin
01-08-2005, 11:29
Before ripping anything out or siliconing it (neither worked for me) check your drainage holes and also clean the seal that sits between the frame of the sunroof and the glass.

This was the last thing I did and it worked. Gave it a damn good cleaning with WD40 (soaked it in the stuff) and then when I re-fitted it I coated the top bit (that sits against the glass) with Vaseline. Never leaked since.

northy
01-08-2005, 11:44
Before ripping anything out or siliconing it (neither worked for me) check your drainage holes and also clean the seal that sits between the frame of the sunroof and the glass.

This was the last thing I did and it worked. Gave it a damn good cleaning with WD40 (soaked it in the stuff) and then when I re-fitted it I coated the top bit (that sits against the glass) with Vaseline. Never leaked since.

There are no drain holes on the MK1 sunroof mate. There are provisions for them - but there arnt at all.

Swervin_Mervin
01-08-2005, 11:52
I thought there were on later models? I'm just going off what everyone told me. I was told early mk1s had no holes but later ones did.

Oh well! :P

northy
01-08-2005, 11:59
i stripped mk1 phase ones and mk1 phase twos & and a 3 but there were no drain holes at all.....you couldnt retro fit any either as the way the headlining fouls.

Lunner
01-08-2005, 12:10
but u need to remove the headlining, and all trim holding it inplace (its a good days work to remove a headlining)

LOL....took me all of 10 minutes, and thats including removing all the offending trin.....but then i did destroy it getting it out

Swervin_Mervin
01-08-2005, 12:16
I got mine out by just dropping the headlining a bit. It's an arse to get the bolts undone and re-done but it's not too bad.

I would suggest the wearing of a long sleeved t-shirt and gloves though as the fibreglass is a git for irritation.

gozziee
01-08-2005, 18:41
looks like a long job for me at the weekend then :(

Mark_Ritchspeed
01-08-2005, 23:03
bloody hell maybe i will let it leak :shock:

Lol, thats what I was thinking. :lol:

gozziee
01-08-2005, 23:15
:idea: anyone want to come round and do it for me :)