PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Gearshift

infinity
11-08-2010, 23:06
Hi,

On the move the gearshift seems it's nice notchy self but especially in stop start traffic (once the car is hot it seems) it gets really hard to change gear and reverse goes in with a crunch!

I had both the driveshafts replaced a few months ago and the fault seems to have started from then (I think)? A lack of gearbox oil perhaps?

Clutch and cable were replaced 3 years ago and the car's covered barely 6K since.

My thoughts are low gearbox oil level?
Clutch?
Clutch cable?

Any ideas please?

Regards,
Infinity

cliobilly
12-08-2010, 21:48
its the gear linkage mine did the same last week after i has the subframe out.

try adjusting it a bit select the gears get a mate to tighten it up when its right
prob an easier way but that worked for me.

i marked it with a paint pen case i move it again.

cliobilly
12-08-2010, 21:51
oh and gearbox oil is easy to check just undo the plastic plug and stick your finger in oil should be level with the plug. Fill to spill.

infinity
16-08-2010, 22:06
Cheers cliobilly will check out both the things you mentioned!

Regards,
Infinity

infinity
24-08-2010, 22:38
Got the car on a ramp, gearbox oil level was OK and gear linkages adjusted however, gears still sticky.

Have found though after 2-3 pumps of the clutch the stickiness seems to go.

I think the next thing to do is to whack in a new clutch cable.

cliokiz
26-08-2010, 10:11
Have you had a new ratchet mechanism fitted to your clutch pedal? My guess is that it's not releasing the clutch fully, which is always worse when the engine is hot.

infinity
27-08-2010, 23:32
Come to think of it, the clutch pedal does make a little click on the way up, wonder if that's the ratchet mechanism.

Is it a main dealer only part?

Cheers

infinity
01-10-2010, 23:36
All sorted, it turned out to be the clutch cable which eventually gave up the ghost and snapped!

New clutch cable fitted along with a new pedal mechanism...bit fiddly but now the car flicks through the gears as these babies should.

Thanks for the posts!