PDA

View Full Version : Better than a Williams?

1995clio16v
08-08-2010, 21:43
Anyone owned one?

The figures seem impressive to me when you consider its weight.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=22319

Find it strange how these dont really find their way into the top 10 best cars of all time (within the entire car genre). From 90's hot hatches always seems to be the Williams.

I know a couple of people who've owned Williams and GTi-6 and they both prefer the GTi-6, they said it would leave a williams for dead on twisties and in a straight line...

zmaster2k
08-08-2010, 21:47
one of my top 10 dissapointing drives...

1995clio16v
08-08-2010, 21:56
Ive looked at them in the past, cheap, but most done to moon and back mileage.

You not likey at all?

MatrixGuy
08-08-2010, 22:52
I test drove one before I bought the Willy, no where near as good IMO. Didn't handle as well, didn't sound as good, etc.

I did like the interior though :)

16v_paddy
08-08-2010, 22:57
I chose a valver over 1 of them 8)

ThRaXaIR
09-08-2010, 11:09
i had one of those for precisely 2 months. Yes they handle nicely and are quick. But my god does it feel like its gunna fall apart on you, the gearings good for speed but u can pretty much pull off in 6th awful economy! The air con system has pipes as weak as your nans wrists, the cambelt will snap if u look at it wrong. I prefer the williams its a solid little ****er! (minus the arches..there def not solid.)

MatrixGuy
09-08-2010, 13:14
i had one of those for precisely 2 months. Yes they handle nicely and are quick. But my god does it feel like its gunna fall apart on you, the gearings good for speed but u can pretty much pull off in 6th awful economy! The air con system has pipes as weak as your nans wrists, the cambelt will snap if u look at it wrong. I prefer the williams its a solid little f**ker! (minus the arches..there def not solid.)

lol, forgot about the air con, never seems to work!

vkosho
11-08-2010, 02:27
Ive driven quite a few pugs. Im not keen on the look of the 306. If i had to get a pug it would be a 106 rallye or a 205. They are ok i guess.

I bought my willy of a guy who had just bought a 306 Rallye. He contacted my after a while to ask me to ring him if i ever wanted to sell it and he would buy it straight back. It looks like he made the wrong choice and that was the proof for me about which is the best to own. 8)

MatrixGuy
11-08-2010, 09:27
Ive driven quite a few pugs. Im not keen on the look of the 306. If i had to get a pug it would be a 106 rallye or a 205. They are ok i guess.

I bought my willy of a guy who had just bought a 306 Rallye. He contacted my after a while to ask me to ring him if i ever wanted to sell it and he would buy it straight back. It looks like he made the wrong choice and that was the proof for me about which is the best to own. 8)

lol, owned! 8)

Tommo
11-08-2010, 12:46
I owned a 306 S16 before the Williams, was ok, handled well but felt too big and heavy. The 309 GTi I owned before the S16 was miles better imo, still not quite as good as the Williams though, but very close... :shock:

Clio-Girl
11-08-2010, 13:15
i was actually looking at getting a 306 gti-6 as my next daily runabout, but i have a feeling i may be disappointed and prefer the valver as a daily hack its a big gamble to take i think.

i havent liked any pugs ive driven apart from the old skool series 1 rallye and the old 309 gti and going by what you guys have said the 306 doesnt sound particually great :?

willyturb0
11-08-2010, 23:02
I had a black Rallye. Great car, I did a few laps of the nurburgring in it. 2 of them in heavy rain, really enjoyable.
not as lively as a williams, but still a good car.

Robertio
12-08-2010, 23:27
I too had a GTi-6 for a while. IMHO if you cover more motorway miles then a GTi-6 is a better car than a Williams. If you cover more A/backroad miles then the Williams is the better car. The Clio is more fun to drive, but the GTi-6 is still very good and it is definitely the more refined place to be (as you'd hope given how much they weigh). My GTi-6 was the only French car I've owned that was solidly put togther - not a rattle or squeak to be heard.