PDA

View Full Version : What gives better results...

1995clio16v
05-08-2010, 19:34
Sandblasting or Acid dipping/chemical cleaning?

Snowman, you see to have experience in this, what do you prefer?

I know chemical cleaning is more readily available etc so this has its advantages.

Im almost tempted to buy a blaster and a compressor. Probably get setup with both for under £200.

snowman
05-08-2010, 19:57
Ive only had my block acid dipped and then this was done by a workshop,its a good way to clean everything and relatively clean process too compared to the media blasting which youll need to be careful about residue left in the components.

Bead blasting is a cheaper alternative but also comes with its problems,apart from the above where youll need to make sure theres no grit left after the process you also need to make sure that the correct grade of media is used for different components,most pro shops will know this but some places dont,they use the same grade for everything which for some of the thinner bits or ally will just damage it and youllend up paying more to correct this,especially on outside panels rather than engine parts.

Home kits are ok but yull need a good constant air supply,which will get expensive with generators,ive seen kits that arent any good either and just block up.Media grit can be expensive too,you can buy used grit from ebay though for around £5 a bag but wont last as long tbh as the sharp edges are already taken off.

Correct bead blasting will leave the surface with an ideal 'key' for paint though.

sooty666
05-08-2010, 20:36
I would strongly recommend that it is not a good idea to use sand or grit blasting on anything that goes near an engine because one bit of grit can really **** things up. There is an alternative option and the only one i would recommend for any engine components is soda blasting as the soda particles hit the surface and break up completely and can be washed after to guaruntee no grit particles will damage your engine.

geesus
06-08-2010, 09:15
sadly the price of baking soda has rocketed (or so i am told)

a guy said he would use around 2 bags on a set of alloys, and 2 bags comes to £50 ish

so before even taking labour and profit into account it's already getting costly just for a set of alloys

GavinMccoull
06-08-2010, 18:25
whats wrong with the old bit nitromorse :wink:

MatBrown
06-08-2010, 18:55
I think the baking soda is more for use on engine parts where any stray debris can cause havoc, alloys have no worries.

Mat.

MAXIBOY
06-08-2010, 19:19
acid dipping is superior on lots of items as it cleans where blasting media wont reach..

so it wins hands down..in that respect..

also when washed away with clean water far easier to remove than grit media..

have everything chemical cleaned for best result engines wise.

for wheels etc either is good but blasting leaves a better key..