PDA

View Full Version : Belt Advice

unklesammy
04-08-2010, 21:50
Evening all,

I've got a squealing aux belt at the mo, think it's drying out and needs replacing.

I would like to do it myself to save spon, is this a major job? Can it be done by a part time tinkerer?

Also, would it be worth doing the timing belt at the same time or is that a massive job?

I also have a wee oil leak coming from that side of the engine. Is there a common problem with the wily 3 engines on that side? If so would it be a seal or something I could do when the belts are off?

Your help will be most welcome.

Cheers
Sammy

5_turbo
06-08-2010, 13:16
carspares sell belt rejuvenator about 6sqid just spray it on and engine stop leak bout a tena worth a try

MAXIBOY
06-08-2010, 19:26
hi mate.

both are a pain with the engine in but not impossible with the right tools.

impact gun and puller for the bottom pulley are a must if doing the timing belt and i recommend you do a full kit.

aux belt is just a 22mm/24mm spanner and 7mm allen key iirc..

oil from that end is likely camshaft oil seals not to difficult if doing the timing belt also.. but there are either 40mm or 42mm with no way to tell except measure..before they are off. worth getting both and returning which ever you don't use..

unklesammy
06-08-2010, 20:23
Thanks for the info mate, going to try and get all the parts 2moro but can't afford the timing kit at the mo, so will wait till I can afford them then do everything then.

Do I have to get the pulley locking tool or can it be done without?

CHeers
Sammy

diathermy
06-08-2010, 22:01
Hi Mate,

Aux belt replacement is not much of a problem.

Look in the guide section, there is a great guide to alternator replacement. That will give you an idea, with pics about what to do.

Need to get head light off. Take of a small clip that attaches some cables and you can get to the pulley which will slacken the belt.

it shoult come off easy if you can undo it. Mine was pretty seized so used lots of WD and major leverage on the allan key.

Once belt is off, put the other one in place and make sure you tighten it. If its not tight it will squeel a lot and you will loose power steering at times.

I learned the hard way that it runs the water oump too!

Best of luck. should get it done within an hour and a half

Coops
07-08-2010, 02:32
WD40

been spraying mine with that for years on all the clios i've ever owned.

do a visual inspection first, if theres no cracks etc in the belt then wd40 will sort it, spray on liberally

and no it wont make it slip before anyone asks :lol:

Wobba
07-08-2010, 19:17
Oil leak could be cam seal. Would be able to see it with pulley cover off by looking behind the pulleys.

Just replace aux belt, its can be odd the first time you do it, after that you'll not have a problem doing ever again :)

unklesammy
09-08-2010, 08:40
Thanks for all the tips people.

Saturday will be my day of tinkering. Not doing the timing belt but full service, cam seal and aux belt to change.

Keep the swear box away from me that day!

Cheers again

Sammy

MAXIBOY
09-08-2010, 14:55
if doing cam seals might as well do a timing belt..

unklesammy
09-08-2010, 15:06
poopy kaky sploof t1ts, can't afford the belt kit at the mo. :oops:

MAXIBOY
09-08-2010, 18:37
check the pulleys and see if you can just fit a belt.

cliokiz
10-08-2010, 12:17
I can come and change your aux belt and help you with the rest.

unklesammy
11-08-2010, 16:40
Thanks for the offer mate but I'm in Newcastle and I fear it may be a bit far for you to travel and I could only afford a bacon sarny and a cuppa as payment! :oops:

I've decided to just do the oil, filters and sparklies this weekend as I went to the garage I used to work at the and my mate kindly printed off the instructions from Autodata and if I did the other things before the timing belt, I would just have to do them again when I got round to doing it.

Here's to DIY mechanics and calling the garage to get them to fix your mess after a day of breaking things.