PDA

View Full Version : rusty front discs

diathermy
28-07-2010, 21:32
Hi guys,

My willy has been sat up on axle stands for ages as I was changing wishbones and a few other bits. Fitting it in around work and family so took a lot longer than expected. Anyway, the front discs had a build up of rust on them. I am sure this will come off with time driving, but for the moment, the braking is really bad. scary actually!

shoul i clean the discs up, or just give it some good hard braking to get them to bite well again?

schakal
28-07-2010, 21:38
1 foot on gas 1 foot on brake on the road for a couple miles always works
for me provided the discs and pads are nice and thick enough and the pistons are not seized or you have air in the system .

cliobilly
29-07-2010, 09:26
Sounds like your brakes need looking at TBH as after a few miles the should be back to normal. I re furbed my front end a few weeks ago car was sat in the rain outside and disks where rusty bit of grinding noise down the road and sorted.

If your disk is now clean again and brakes are still poor get the wheels off and see whats going on and clean any crap out the calipers ect.
Check for wear then check the pistons are not siezed, check fluid and bleed.

If you do all that and they are still poor then press the pedal harder :lol:

katbloke
29-07-2010, 12:55
check all your sliders and bias valve too, all things that will seize up during time off the road

diathermy
29-07-2010, 13:46
thanks guys.

I did not go for much of a drive, less than a mile, as car is not taxed!

Getting some new tyres from camskill today and hopefully MOT later today or tommorrow.

Been sat there so long I know its bound to fail on something!...i reaaly hope not. Just want to drive it. Been almost a year of ownership and due to one problem or another, have not given it the beans yet!