PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Ignition Coils

Lunner
30-07-2005, 17:56
Speasking to a guy who really knows his shit about tuning cars recons that if i was to get two multi point ignition coils, and wiht some fancy wiring i could get each one running 2 cylinders, and therefopre getting a hotter spark or something and getting alot of performance.

Also recons that for now getting an uprated ignition unit will give me a noticable power difference.

Has anyone tried this or runnign this, or even heard of doing this before.

This guy is well into his car electrics, reampping and shit, like fuel mixtures and running lean is best but it makes the engine hotter, and the get the most power about 10 seconds before your pistons melt, etc etc

BenR
30-07-2005, 18:00
running either a coil over plug setup or a wasted spark setup is better than a dizzy and coil......but by no means is it a revelation, and for the cost and complexity of doing it, you wont notice much at all.

And any tuner worth his beans will know how best to control combustion conditions. But running lean doesnt mean you'll melt anything so long as auto igniton doesnt occur and EGT's arent high.

summeh
30-07-2005, 23:33
interesting... i just bought a new coil, ht leads and dizzy/rotor... wonder if it will make any difference....

do you think you'd notice any diff ben having a 2 coil set up?

BenR
30-07-2005, 23:53
A poorly maintained ignition system will loose you out, so swapping to new parts is always a good idea.

But in terms of is a coilpack/wasted spark or a coil on plug setup better. Yes, but you wont feel it as such, especially not on an engine such as ours which hasnt got high cylinder pressures, high compression ratio or anything like that.

And if you design the chamber and piston crown to work well, design everything to burn as fast and as cool as you can, then i dont see a need either.

Mehdi runs it, its just easier to setup and map.

Lunner
31-07-2005, 13:42
Makes sense....most of his cars are turboed jap things, so guess thats why he was saying about it makign a massive difference, might just get a nice new uprated Bosch unit

stan
31-07-2005, 14:12
he obviously isnt all that clued up if he's telling u running lean is hotter....

Lunner
31-07-2005, 14:15
he obviously isnt all that clued up if he's telling u running lean is hotter....

Its not??

He was saying that running lean makes the spark/engine hotter

stan
31-07-2005, 15:08
peak combustion temperature is reduced with a lean mixture, contrary to what most engine "tuners" will tell you.

basically, as you go lean from stiochiometric the fuel conversion efficiency is increased....put simply this means the combustion is more efficient; makes sense as we all know a lean running engine uses less fuel. the definition of efficiency is the ammount of losses by comparing input and output. so, if the burn is more efficient, there are less losses. since we are discussing a "heat engine" the losses are of course thermal. therefore more efficient=less losses=cooler burn.

however, over the years it has been "established" that leaner=hotter. this confusion isnt helped by the fuelling requirments of a trubo-charged engine, where adittional fuel is added (say lambda=0.75), to aid the charge cooling process to help prvent detonation.

BRUN
31-07-2005, 16:43
can a so called uprated coil be fitted to a valver/willy

all the coils ive seen dont look like they have the required connections on them to go on

???

BenR
31-07-2005, 19:40

He's probably referring to lean as lower than what most consider a suitable full load AFR for a boosted applicaton, like 11.5-12, rather than the true definition of lean beyond stoich.

You know how it goes stan, hardly anybody is clued up.