PDA

View Full Version : polybush and subframe

cliobilly
13-07-2010, 22:00
Ok maybe a dumb question but........

My pollybush kit should arrive tomm and whilst i re paint the roll bar and wishbones i wondered if i could remove the subframe and refurb that.

will prob be clear when im under but if anybody knows if its easy to remove and if and what i have to support whilst i fix it up?

dont want engine or box to drop on me head or owt.

cliobilly
13-07-2010, 22:20
And mine is a white colour ?

Is that original ? whats the Halfrauds colour to use.

16v_paddy
14-07-2010, 00:06
Will have to remove the downpipe & undo the steering column from the rack as well as disconnect the PAS pipes. Will also have to remove the dogbone mount, I think the aux water pump is attached to the subframe so will have to undo that.

No need to worry about the engine falling off :lol: as the 2 mounts inside the bay hold it up, it will swing back & forth a bit but don't worry about that. I'd soak the captive nuts in WD40 really well as you can run into some annoyance if they break while trying to undo them

Coops
14-07-2010, 09:39
there 2 additional bars from subframe to inner wing as well near wishbones that need undoing

front bumper off to expose front 2 main bolts and rear 2 main bolts are clear to see at rear of the frame to the chassis

its simple enough but a bit time consuming with PAS still there etc

cliobilly
30-07-2010, 20:29
Hi all did a re furb of my sub frame last week so took a few pics.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab124/billyvit/clio/LillyJonesxxx001JPG.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab124/billyvit/clio/LillyJonesxxx002JPG.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab124/billyvit/clio/LillyJonesxxx003JPG1.jpg

Thanks to you guys pointing me in the right direction and the help of a mate we managed the whole lot in 2 afternoons.

Not worthy of a guide but if anybody wants some help let me know.

Was it hard work?

No not really the plastics where hard work and one of the rear subframe bolts had a broken cradle ( 2quid from renault ) other than that easy tbh even did the ARB and a few other bits whilst i was waiting for the paint to dry.

I was going to fit polybushes but the original bushes are like new and having read some negative reviews decided to leave them for now . Plus larkspeed forgot to tell after i paid that it would be 4 weeks to deliver.

I attacked with a sander and wire brush then alu zinc spary . I had some white spray in the shed so white it has become. i figure it will look grey in a few months anyway . ARB had the same plus black hamerite as did the lower wishbones. New bolts all round job done. Also fitted low temp switch and ram air filter moved battery to the boot and repaired some of the loom.

Im very happy with the results but the filter is way to loud on full chat . :oops:

Did it to get her through the winter and im doing the RTOC trackday so want to make sure she is in as good condition as possible.

Laine_16v
30-07-2010, 22:00
Best of luck keeping that white ;)

scratabout1988
10-02-2011, 14:46
thanks for this post, i was considering doing it my self as mines a little rustic!

i was told you couldn't take the sub frame off without engine and box out but obviously you can.

had the idea of wire brush on my drill then hammerite primer and top coat?

16v_paddy
11-02-2011, 01:13
Last time I had mine off I just sprayed it with some random tins of hammerite & paint that I had lying about in the garage :P

I'd say get it shot blasted & powdercoated if you want it done properly or if you're lazy like I am & can't be bothered with the effort of wire brushin :lol: