PDA

View Full Version : Just got in from a very quiet Santa Pod

Coops
10-07-2010, 23:49
went down for the saturday night special today to basically play with the new wideband and sink a few runs up the strip. its VW action tomorrow so strip was on RWYB for all today, but it was absolutely deserted, to the point i got more runs in between half 2 and 9pm than i did at the RTOC all day event few months back!!!!

anyway to cut a long one short, despite the soaring temps and headwind i managed to best my time again! :D

pulled a 12.47@114mph out the bag with a respectable 60ft of 2.07 seconds which is a massive improvement

i stayed in the mid to high 12's rest of the afternoon until all of a sudden i couldnt get traction and that was it, nothing close.

so i spent a few hours 'borrowing' cars. i took harvys white hybrid up several times, managed a 15.1 best (bettering all his times :wink: ) and kirsty very kindly let me spank her......................172 as well, managed a 15.7 best in that, but it was full of handbags,gladrags, and 'choons' as well :P

towards last run of the day they shut the track due to someone dropping coolant all over......................i was back in the que quietly sitting as my car dropped the rest of the coolant all over the paddock :oops: :lol: nice bloke in a nissan pointed out it was me 'wot dunnit' :D

found i'd split the hose from the aux water pump, it was resting on the clutch arm and had worn through! FAIL. so chopped it down, undid water pump to get some slack and popped it back on to limp home

just got in! had a top day and cheers to everyone who did show, good to see some familiar faces, Steph, Gav, Dan, legends as ever!

Ben

bill.
11-07-2010, 12:47
thats one rapid clio you got there, must be good fun that thing 8)

Martin
11-07-2010, 13:43
How many runs did you have coops? Gotta love a quiet santa pod it is a rarity lol great times, slicks could get you in the 11s?

Coops
11-07-2010, 14:24
loads mate, i got 18 in in the turbo before the coolant leak, and that was with massive gaps of watching etc and also ran about another 12 between other cars, so 30 odd runs all together but shit you not could easily of doubled or even tripled that

slicks would see 11's i think but i just dont want to risk the box, i have to drive the car home!!!! lol!!

ai tis nippy bill fella :wink:

MAXIBOY
11-07-2010, 15:01
yeah slicks are risky lol

but excellent times mate..

suppose if it was drag only you could tweek it for launches but as its a road car that's fantastic times.

Wobba
12-07-2010, 12:54
You can run mine up the strip one day as well mate, I am sure my take-off skills leave a lot to be desired!

Coops
12-07-2010, 14:12
i'd be more than up for that mr wobbanory! any news on whats happening with yours mate btw?

Wobba
12-07-2010, 14:19
i'd be more than up for that mr wobbanory! any news on whats happening with yours mate btw?

Yes...there is news 8)

All will be revealed I dont wanna keep banging on about it, boring everyone to death, so I've stayed quiet recently... :wink:

Clio-Girl
12-07-2010, 14:30
a quiet santapod is dangerous, im glad the naples stayed at home safely tucked up with her pajamas on, i would of guaranted another box failure :lol:

Coops
12-07-2010, 14:32
you'd of loved it ronee, shame you kids missed it, poor turnout for a mid summer, beautiful weathered, day out at the pod!

i have no 3rd gear left really, new box before mallory me thinks but its stood up to a lot of abuse this one :D

mr wobb, we all yearn to know the score, i want to know whats the crack with the fire breather :twisted:

Wobba
12-07-2010, 15:44
Another box failure Ronee....dont worry, you could just steal another one of Gaz's :D

you'd of loved it ronee, shame you kids missed it, poor turnout for a mid summer, beautiful weathered, day out at the pod!

i have no 3rd gear left really, new box before mallory me thinks but its stood up to a lot of abuse this one :D

mr wobb, we all yearn to know the score, i want to know whats the crack with the fire breather :twisted:

Well, not much to tell yet really, but let's just say the prodigious power of the Wobba expendable income is flexing it's muscles once again...

Not changed exhaust yet, gotten very good at keeping as quiet as possible and I do LOVE it when at full chat. I am planning some upgrades for next year too, but I have another plan which may take precedence instead.

I am going to write up a project thread soon, cover the last 2 years briefly and then cover some of the more interesting events of late, hopefully get some vids up too.

I will reveal all in the project thread as time goes by.

Evogone
12-07-2010, 18:12
Remember what i said Wobba about upgrades, my plan is in motion......? :wink:

My wallet is empty now with getting the clicky box should arrive next week..!!! :twisted:

MAXIBOY
12-07-2010, 23:29
need a load of info on the clicky box and fitting it to..

loads of pics.. please .. and prices too..

thanks..

Wobba
13-07-2010, 01:19
Remember what i said Wobba about upgrades, my plan is in motion......? :wink:

My wallet is empty now with getting the clicky box should arrive next week..!!! :twisted:

Yes Evo, I have NOT forgotten, was talking to someone about it this evening in fact ;)

Coops
13-07-2010, 10:25
clicky box surely won't take turbo power neil mate? think they are only rated to 200lb/ft or so for the sadevs aren't they?

MAXIBOY
13-07-2010, 21:10
yeah but been fun blowing one up..

MAXIBOY
13-07-2010, 21:11
why cant they be like audi RS4 boxes theres is one running 850bhp though a standard box..lol

dhay14
14-07-2010, 00:02
aren't there any way to reinforce the jc5 so it wont blowup? there must be something that can be done!!

2 live
14-07-2010, 00:14
good times there mate.

aren't there any way to reinforce the jc5 so it wont blowup? there must be something that can be done!!

yeah....fit it to a 1.2 ;)

surprised nobodies made up an adapter plate for the vag boxes yet tbh. with quite a few boys on here now running the turbos /silly power etc, would be cheaper than replacing boxes every 5-6 months. ;)

MAXIBOY
14-07-2010, 01:00
think scoff done it mate

been asking about the Ndo boxes but cant find any info on torque levels etc..

mines been fine but will be going up soon so just doing my homework

was also trying to find the toughest front wheel drive l.s.d equipped six speed from a standard manufacture as if fitting might as well fit the best..

needs to hold 300/400 ft/lb on torque ideally.. lol

Evogone
14-07-2010, 01:27
clicky box surely won't take turbo power neil mate? think they are only rated to 200lb/ft or so for the sadevs aren't they?

UK cup sequentials :cry: are rated at 176lbs then ST75-14 :D which was used in all other countries is 196lbs. There are other ST90 is rated at 250lbs...

Regards cost for the ST75 10k all in for box, lever, linkage, shafts, flatshift, gear indicator, mounts etc.....trust me i have the paperwork to prove it... :? :wink:

Coops
14-07-2010, 09:42
i'm sticking with the laguna box, £30 all in :lol:

scoff runs a vag box with a 5mm ally adaptor plate he made himself. but he says the synchros are dogshite, have to wait half and hour between changes to select gears on full boost. which imo will ruin the driving experience. the issue is the renault boxes are fantastic, just weak as piss! :roll:

dhay14
14-07-2010, 09:55
which component of the boxes are mostley the ones that gets blown? ive never blown a valver nor a williams box yet?

there is one guy her in holland that sells reinforced gearbox shells. he says they will survive massive abuse. :?

Coops
14-07-2010, 13:12
circlip popping out the differential

stripping gear sets, i've ripped 3rd 4th and 1st apart in 3 different boxes.

dhay14
14-07-2010, 22:29
i guess that im lucky till now then.... :twisted:

2 live
14-07-2010, 23:55
circlip on 3...and 5th, completely destroyed on 1.....took out a few others on its way.

Wobba
15-07-2010, 15:27
I dont have a diff circlip to blow up :)

cliolord
15-07-2010, 19:02
good times there mate.

yeah....fit it to a 1.2 ;)

FLOL! =D>

cliolord
15-07-2010, 19:03

neither did I, just took the side of the box off instead :D

Laine_16v
15-07-2010, 22:13
:lol:

dhay14
15-07-2010, 22:42

neither did I, just took the side of the box off instead :D

:(

volymmannen
16-07-2010, 23:45
would a stronger gearset, make it last longer a lot longer ?, and the reinforcement plate behind 5th gear are they worth the price and work to make them fit??

Coops
18-07-2010, 12:09
as gaz mentions, strengthen the internals and you simply start blowing holes in the casing :(

walters300
21-07-2010, 14:03
what box did they use in the maxi as that had 270 bhp? it seems cheaper to keep rebuilding boxes every few thousand miles for a few hundred quid rather then spend thousands on a box and then potentially thousands rebuilding that, sadev boxes cost a fortune to rebuild apparently. clicky box is really nice though :)

Laine_16v
21-07-2010, 18:55
pretty sure it was a hewland gearbox, which would dent your wallet by about £15-£20k :P

walters300
21-07-2010, 19:52
8) so about 500 laguna boxes! Jesus! Somebody needs to make an idiots guide to rebuilding a box on here as you can buy the bearings kit for about 150, cant be that hard surely! Says he who knows fk all!

Coops
22-07-2010, 10:22
again tho, wont be any stronger, so a 30-50 quid laguna box and swap it every 6 months is my future proof solution! lol!

until i figure out how to fit a megane f1 box with 6th and lsd in it ;-)

walters300
23-07-2010, 00:33
:D that sounds like a very good idea! We should all club together and get a reputable guy who is capable of pulling it off to make the parts, for a guy in the know it should be possible, i had a megane dci box before with that idea in mind but didnt see it through, even the dci box without diff should be a lot better as they fit them on the commercial 2.5 diesels as well i was told, i would be prepared to throw 50 bucks in the pot for the greater good of mk1 world, if we could get 15 people to do the same that should cover the cost for bits and labour and we could raffle the end result between the people who made the investment for the greater good of mk1 world! Thats what car clubs are for! Thats what i think anyway, build together !