PDA

View Full Version : Locking wheel bolt removal

donsrno1
14-06-2010, 01:23
My brother has had a bit of a problem with his Mk4 Golf locking wheel nuts, so looking for a bit of advice. Below is a post on a VW forum earlier.

If anyone has any experience of this/any advice it really would be massively appreciated.

I've lost the key for my locking wheel bolts and having a bit of a problem getting them off, so hoping for a bit of advice.

The problem is that the bolts are tightly recessed into the wheel and so its not possible to bash a socket over it and remove it that way as there is not room around the bolt. The car is at the garage just now, they've tried using EZ-out type (reverse thread) adapters but they snapped and they have also tried drilling it out but have been unable to drill through the bolt material (other than a pilot hole) as it just destroys the drill bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting it out?

They reckon they will now have to drill out the alloy around the bolt so that they can hammer a socket on to get them off, but obviously I would rather avoid that. I'm going out to have a look myself tomorrow, but other than trying to weld something on there (guessing they have thought of that and space doesn't allow it) I can't think of any other options.

Any help or suggestions would be massively appreciated.

Cheers.

manxseven
14-06-2010, 09:03
um as a last resort can you tighten them up :shock: so it snaps the studs?
Maybe they are bolts, so that may not be sensible?

Simon

MatBrown
14-06-2010, 16:46
Are they standard lockers?
Could try VW and see if they have a master set.

Mat.

djtlane
14-06-2010, 22:37
Gator-grip socket, or chemical metal a bolt or slightly over sized socket to the f'locking nut