PDA

View Full Version : Unstable under braking

16v_paddy
03-06-2010, 10:18
Drove the car with some venom for the 1st time in bloody ages :twisted: but I immediately noticed that when braking very hard approaching a corner the back end of the car felt very unstable :shock: it sort of felt like it was trying to pull itself round then back again :?

Anyone got any idea what's going on?

schakal
03-06-2010, 10:21
too much weight on one side , go easy on them pies !!!
ohh and too much whanking will turn you blind eventually :D

zmaster2k
03-06-2010, 10:24
bias valve sticking?

Purple
03-06-2010, 11:13
Braking in a straight line before the corner, or braking into the corner? Could be just uneven/bumpy surface. Try it out elsewhere to see if you get the same problem.

Wobba
03-06-2010, 11:17
In theory, back end becoming too light under braking and the bias valve not closing due to being seized, thus rear locking and wanting to come round to say hello to the front of car.

16v_paddy
03-06-2010, 13:33
Braking in a straight line before the corner, or braking into the corner? Could be just uneven/bumpy surface. Try it out elsewhere to see if you get the same problem.

I don't brake round corners any more :lol:

Not had chance to try it elsewhere but will do. I can see where you're coming from with that though as it was on a very technical sort of B road, lots of little bumps, crests & odd cambers when taking the best lines etc, so there was some "interesting" loads on the car at the time :lol: hard accelerating out of a corner, odd camber & little crest on the racing line about half a second or so before the braking point

Thing is though, I know the road very well & drive it with some venom every time I'm on it & the car has never behaved like this before which is pretty indicative that something isn't quite right. What would I need to do to the bias valve? Is it a case of a shitload of WD40 & some wiggling about or is there a bit more involved?

zmaster2k
03-06-2010, 17:07
twat it

Purple
04-06-2010, 03:54
Tyre pressures? Are tyres in decent condition? Was it a hot day? The clio gets oversteery on hot tarmac.

Also, if the car's been laid up or you been driving like a granny for quite a while - the calipers can get a bit sticky or disc & pad surfaces may not be properly mated. In either case, couple of straight line hard braking should kick out the cobwebs.

16v_paddy
04-06-2010, 19:19
Tyres are pretty new & in tip top condition so no worries there :D But it has been laid up for a while & that drive was really to give it a good pasting to shake the cobwebs loose so maybe it'll sort itself out.

It's in the pipeline to give the brakes & everything else a good going over in preparation for the track day next month

Wobba
04-06-2010, 20:34
Basically Paddy, get under there, take it apart an bloody clean it and WD40 it, wiggle loads back and forth then refit. Dont jack rear up to do it, or if you do, jack rear beam up so it emulates being on the ground and set bias position like that...you want it so it's just beginning to tug ever so slightly. Go to Retro Renault, they have a guide.