PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof leaking like crazy - water everywhere!

GabrielKnight
25-05-2010, 15:17
: (

Every time it rains, a load of water collects in plastic part on the ceiling that holds the courtesy lights and buttons for the sunroof. In a less than amusing way, I'm showered with water everytime I go round a corner quickly.

I'm assuming the water is getting in via the sunroof but exactly where I'm not sure. Do I need a new sunroof or does it just need resealing?

I've also been getting some false alarms on my factory fitted alarm recently. Could this be realted - do some of the wires go up there?

Thanks.

tom97
25-05-2010, 15:22
yeah they do, on my clio the immobilisor unit was where my water used to leak through, i used to get exactly the same problem, everytime i went round a corner i would get a nice cold shower. i searched around on the net and a few people suggested it could be the arial (can't spell it lol) leaking, but with mine the sunroof just needed resealing and it hasn't leaked since. - also, another problem it could be is that apparently with the sunroof there are some drainage tubes on the front that lead down the front of the door, if it's been sat around for a little while they can get blocked up and sometimes can cause the same problem.
tom.

Clio-Girl
25-05-2010, 15:23
try tightening the bolts up that hold the sunroof in, on 3 of our valvers the sunroofs were loose which is what caused them to leak been fine since 8)

Wobba
25-05-2010, 15:36
Discon battery, take courtesy light/IR receiver out, dry off after unplugging and inspecting for rot on circuits.

Loosen 8mm nut to aerial. Blob a bit of silicone in there, tighten nut again, put back together, reconnect battery, job done.

Coops
25-05-2010, 16:53
ring renault, order sunroofless roof skin, fit

never worry ever again.....

......well except when the bank manager rings :shock:

vkosho
25-05-2010, 17:05
Reseal the Arial hole first with silicone as that can let a suprising amount of water in. Remove the roof console and check for and water damage on the reciever and in the lighting. The interiour lights are often intemitant due to water damage over long periods of time. Give everything a clean with electrical contact spray and cotton buds if needed.

There are NO drains in these Williams clio and valver sunroofs. If its leaking it will usualy either be the inner glass seal which the glass sits on or the outer sunroof frame seal.
Remove the inner seal first and check for splits, cracks or damage. clean out the channel and wipe down the inside edge of the glass. The rubber seal can be revitalised with some WD40. Then put it back in carefully and check its seated properly.

If it still leaks.. It needs sealing around the sunroof frame. The sunroof needs to be removed to re seal the frame properly but you can make an attempt to do it without if you can be neat enough with the silicon around the edge on the roof. Otherwise it is a pretty big job and involves removing the headliner and some of the interior trim. It is also easy to warp the roof when removing if your not careful causing further leaks. Once its apart is pretty much a case of replacing the seal with a new renault one (very expensive) or just going at it with silicone sealant.

Sunroofs are the ultimate clio bane. Seriously frustrating to try and fix and the clio shower is something too many people have experienced. I spent ages trying to fix my Clio RT roof and the leak always seemed to come back in 1 form or another.

Good luck with yours though!!

5_turbo
11-06-2010, 16:11
duck tape works wonders :D