PDA

View Full Version : High revs on tick over

cliobilly
20-05-2010, 13:34
Drove car 3 miles home not fast just in normal 30 mph traffic. Turned car off had lunch maybe 25 mins. When I started the car reved to 3 k ? And stayed there. Please help is it the throttle sensor? What can I do to check?

Wobba
20-05-2010, 14:02
There are a lot of posts about this already mate. Do a search for 'high idle'.

It will be something simple.

cliobilly
20-05-2010, 14:45
So either iscv or throttle cable thingy earth wire or just a freak of nature that will just fix its self at some point. :(

cliobilly
20-05-2010, 16:17
Ok, took air filter off to get a better look and straight away found an air leak on the icv out pipe HAPPY DAYS NOT!!!!
It didnt cure it.
Soon as i blocked the valve from the intake with a rag the revs drop away so i guess its stuck open?

Im now going to take the icv off and clean it .

Wobba
20-05-2010, 17:16
Yep. Get that bugger off and get it clean with carb cleaner or petrol and cotton buds.

Car SHOULD stall if you block the airpipe from ISCV with palm of your hand. Don't block with an object that could be sucked into engine...will be costly and silly error.

Check ALL hoses going to the inlet, including small vacuum hoses.

Yes, it could be the speedo earth too or even a sensor like TPS or crank sensor...or blown ECU.

cliobilly
20-05-2010, 17:33
Cleaned iscv still high Erving . I'm not happy

cliobilly
20-05-2010, 18:21
Still reving at 3000rpm
I took the plug of the icv and revs dropped to 2000rpm
to be honest it was not very dirty to start with
I have blocked the inlet and engine cuts out.
Checked every hose still nothing?
My first week of ownership is not good.
Can anybody help?

cliobilly
21-05-2010, 11:43
Checked everything i felt happy doing myself with no luck.
Took to garage this morning and was a mare to drive revs all over the place ,however in 2nd gear it was pulling away but if i reved it up and over 4 k the revs droped down to about 1.5k before shooting back up by its self. By the time i got to the garage tickover was 4 k.
Hope they can fix it.
Could this be the speedo earth?

Wobba
21-05-2010, 14:32
Im afraid with this issue its a case of trial and error to deduce the problem.

Only times I have had that problem is a blown ECU board.

cliobilly
21-05-2010, 15:49
Was the ISCV, anybody got one?

cliobilly
26-05-2010, 19:41
Iscv was to blame the mechanic said he could and did temp fix the problem by setting the revs at 850,
what would he of done to do that?
cant see anything obvious?
Now have a new iscv on but have new problem it ticks over fine till its warm then idles at just over 1k .
Could the temp fix i had in place cause this?
Any help mechanic is away for two weeks.

Laine_16v
26-05-2010, 20:50
He's probably messed with the idle screw *facepalm*. It really shouldnt be touched.

cliobilly
26-05-2010, 21:03
Didnt think there was a an idle screw?

Only thing i can see is a thin tube ontop of throttle body which has a white plastic insert in it.

Laine_16v
26-05-2010, 22:39
Didnt think there was a an idle screw?

Only thing i can see is a thin tube ontop of throttle body which has a white plastic insert in it.

Correct, and under that white plastic insert, is an idle adjustment screw ;) Its set at the factory to be correct and to take into account differencies ni manufacturing to give each car the same idle as it roles off theproduction line.

If your white insert is still there then its not been tampered, which is a good sign. Although im not sure how else he would have adjusted your idle.

Wobba
26-05-2010, 23:47
Maybe he popped the white tamper plug back on...Get an ISCV off Mat Brown and before fitting it, adjust the screw so it revs as shit as it was before...assuming that's what the mechanic did...

cliobilly
27-05-2010, 08:13
It like the iscv aint sending any signal ? still set at 850 when cold and 1k when warm?
Matts already sent me an iscv which i have stuck on but it still is not doing its job.

Wobba
27-05-2010, 09:23
So hows it driving now after the mechanic played with it?

I'd try

ECU
Crank sensor
Check throttle isnt stuck open/overtight throttle cable

cliobilly
27-05-2010, 12:05
Ok had the problem as described above car reved at 3k all the time.
Mechaic did his temp 'Fix' so car ran cold in morning and had to be reved a bit to keep running till it got warm then idle at 1k no problem.

New iscv put on but car still the same as the 'fix'
thought it would behave and tic over on initial start up then idle at 950 like it did before i had any problem.

How much is it to ring Egypt?lol