PDA

View Full Version : 16V vs Williams?

Steddy
27-07-2005, 16:29
Im looking into getting a Williams but have just seen specs for the Mk1 1.8 16V. Despite having 13 bhp less (137bhp) than the Williams, the 0-60 time claims to be 7.4 seconds whereas this site says the Williams does 0-60 in 7.7???

To be honest either would do, but i was wondering if this is correct.
If anyone could fill me in on the specs for both would be much appreciated.

PO

derv
27-07-2005, 16:35
the valver and williams have a similar 0-60 as the valver can do it in second gear but the williams needs to do a change to third to get to 60. the williams has far greater torque and will get to 100 a fair bit quicker than the valver. also the williams handles a bit better due to the slightly wider track at the front. depends wat u want, if you want a cheap pretty quick car that handles well get a valver, if you want something a bit more special get the williams

Swervin_Mervin
27-07-2005, 16:41
Basically the Williams is POS that was used to con mugs out of money, when it was no better than the supposedly lesser 16v. :P :wink: :shock: 8) :twisted:

jtrenaultuk
27-07-2005, 16:41
I reckon there so similar it doesn,t matter what you get unless you want a special car myt as well get a valver cos there not a lot slower and with small mods can quite easily be quicker, iv raced standard williams in my valver which is also practically standard except for decat and pipercross, and it was neck to neck, and i was slightly infront longer than he was.
very very close

Andyvalver
27-07-2005, 17:42
Not much difference between the 2 tbh. Williams will have a valver after 2nd gear. Not by much though, only a a car lenght or two to a 100.

Valver pulls hard from 4k onwards, willy pulls hard from 2k onwards.

Williams is a great exclusive car though. Id have one if i didnt have my valver.

tbh though, both are fast hatches. The 1.8 16v will see off most of its rivals on pace like the golf gti(any of the gti range) and the 205gti(1.6)

big hp
27-07-2005, 18:30
I've had 2 valvers and now my williams. I can honestly say the williams is a totally different beast. Torque everywhere which makes it a lot more driveable. The handleing is far superior, its a lot more planted/stable etc. Theres also the grin factor knowing your driving something special.

That said i'm not taking anything away from valvers, great cars and very under rated. If your looking for something to blast about in then get a valver, if you want something a bit more driveable and exclusive then get a williams.

Andyvalver
27-07-2005, 18:41
Well said that man :D

richy
27-07-2005, 19:31
yup overal the williams is a better package having toque from such low down revs, and handling is alot more stable over faster/bumpier stuff, but as said the valver is very under rated car quick and alot cheaper to insure!

gtbloke
28-07-2005, 19:53
I originally wanted a williams, but when i looked into it the cost to buy one and the extra insurance just was not worth it....a valver isnt far behind we all know it (would always be in your rear view mirror!), also less likely to get nicked :wink:

2 live
29-07-2005, 09:13
this is the diff between 2 equally modded cars, and 2 equal drivers, the silver valver was a quick one too.

btw the 17s on the valver helped it get grip on the icy road hehe

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=jon-vs-adi

enjoy

Andyvalver
29-07-2005, 09:26
The difference is not that great^^at all. 17"slow the car down big time.

2 live
29-07-2005, 09:43
lmao...

that car was a mid 15 sec car...........with the 17s....so for a valver was rapid

most valvers run hi 15s to mid 16s

btw the vid was only 1st n 2nd.the gap got bigger quicker after that. the valvers holding their own with the williams usually to the top end of second

and yes the 17s do slow em down a lot

clowo16v
29-07-2005, 11:54
The last time I raced a Williams on the road, he was the same in first but I was quicker through 2nd, he didn't pull any back in 3rd but then came past in 4th.

That was with my new gearbox, but with all the interior in, a decated Magnex system but the standard airbox and filter.

See ya

Matt

Andyvalver
29-07-2005, 20:35
Ive only ever raced one williams and the valver stuck with it to 60 no probs but it pulled on me after that :D

gtbloke
02-08-2005, 10:24
I raced a snail the other day...and it caned me :lol:

Chris n`nic
02-08-2005, 11:28
TBH you need alot more power/grip to really make a difference between two cars upto 60....the real test is after that. Just look at that old Type R on the hothatch post...5.5 0-60 (LSD as standard) but 17+ to 100. So upto 60 it`ll fly but I`d be catching him very quickly after that (ignoring me getting 5.8 0-60 :wink: ). As has been said, if you want a fun quick car get a Valver, if you want something a little bit complete (and can afford the difference) get a williams

Chris