PDA

View Full Version : intermitent misfire i think??

glyn211269
12-05-2010, 00:13
0041 isn't well again :-(

The engine is intermitantly and randomly hesitant, but only for a few moments here and there, usually at normal road speed when warmed up.

How do I narrow down if this is electrical/ECU/earth problem or fuel supply???? And then narrow down to fuel pump/injectors etc without changing them all in turn?

But do Williams have an early type of diagnostic socket at all?

Any suggestions of where to start anyone??

Purple
12-05-2010, 01:27
To check for earthing issues:
Get a couple of old battery jumper cables. Run the cables from the battery negatives to metal bits of the car close to ECU/fuel pump/alternator etc or anywhere else you suspect has earthing problems. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. If the problem goes way during the test; you have existing earthing problems.

Anders
12-05-2010, 09:16
MAF sensor, or even lamba??

I guess only visual checks is to take spark plugs out and see what they look like, make sure leads are good and contacts are clean. Clean your air filter...whack in a bit of injector cleaner.

Just making sure you have the vitals...fuel, air and sparks.

Then you are into components and diagnostics. I am sure there is OBD2 or similar for fault finding...

MatBrown
12-05-2010, 16:30
There is a diagnostic socket but it's not OBD2, it's on the fuse box flap.

Mat.

cooper
15-05-2010, 19:11
i had this same problem, changed plugs,leads, rotor and cap, lambda sensor, fuel filter etc. was still doing it after all that but now has randomly stopped doing it :?

glyn211269
15-05-2010, 19:43
I've been told since that the coil packs are renown for causing problems like this - any truth in that???